Friends List Now A Blocked List?

Hi Jeff and Gang!

Wonderent sent me a PM telling me that somehow her friends list in her profile are now blocked. I sent her a reply and got this,

"This member has chosen not to be contactable by the board Messenger

This personal message has not been sent"

Sooooooo, something got goofed up somewhere, probably a quirk in the latest upgrade? Can it be fixed? And if not, how does one go about "unblocking" someone? (I've never blocked anybody!)

Thanks a million!

Liz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it seems the latest forum upgrade caused all on the friends list to be transfered to the block list.

I deleted all on the block list and created a new friends list.

To help me to recieve PM's, Jeff increased the maximum storable messages from 30 to 40.

Edited by handplane

It looks to me that it took all of my PM 'Address book entries' , rather than people from my 'Friends list' and added those to the block list. I'm removing them now.

Is this fixable from your end Jeff, or will each person have to go through (if they realize this) and fix it?

I did a test run of the fixes for this, must not have done it right, or I am just more than a little confused??? Have only been onboard for a few minutes and don't like being confused and unhappy with my favorite board instead of my usual peaceful happy feeling of being over here.

Sent Liz a PM (with copy below to save time and effort on my part) to test things out but my block/allow list is a bigger mess if it is same list just exchanged blocked to messages allowed on it.!!! I am to nearsighted to easily see what is going on and not a very happy camper at this point, though when I was here about 10 days ago, I couldn't even find new messages at top right to do PMs as usual, so I guess things have improved since then. Sigh!!!

Copy of my PM to Liz, just in case she doesn't get it and since it pertains to this problem.

"Hello Liz,

I haven't had a chance to come back over here for about 10 days, so am still at a loss about some of the new stuff Jeff put in.

I saw your thread about friends blocked instead of allowed, checked out my list and all were blocked, tried to unblock you and Jeff to start with, but it only allowed the rest of my list not you two. So I figured I could delete the two and start over but it wont allow me to add you two again. Sigh. Says it is the block list but says messages allowed? What's with that?

The boards were nice, fast, and efficient before, so why did whoever owns the software for the board system feel like adding all the bloated stuff to slow things way down (especially slow for me on dialup I noticed last time I was here) and make other things go haywire...?

New and improved seldom is in my opinion. Oh well.

Sigh....to bad it is my favorite board, and that I just don't have the patience or time to monkey around trying to figure out how to fix the broken stuff, etc.

I will copy/paste this to your thread along with trying to send it as a PM to test it and will try tracking it too.

Love ya!

Pat

God bless."

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

The only thing that I can think of is that if you had these people as PM Contacts (which was replaced by the friends feature) previously before the upgrade they were added to the block list for some reason. Most likely an error, there's really nothing I can do. It looks like if you add a friend now it doesn't add them to your block list (at least it hasn't happened to me when I add people as friends). Thanks for your patience. Hopefully all of you now know how to fix it. This problem is most likely not forum-wide unless you had these people as contacts before-hand or added them as friends on the day of the upgrade. However, if you read this thread you should definitely check just to make sure you don't have anyone blocked by mistake.

B

Thanks Jeff,

Sorry I'm such a grouch...again...!!! :rolleyes:

Just didn't expect to have that particular problem.

Did some experimenting, after I had another cup of coffee, to see if I could find an easy way to add the people back into my friends list. Found out I can click on their name on the block page to bring up their profile and then below their avatar/egghead/MrPotatoHead picture there is an add to friends list thingy to click on. So got nearly everyone back on friends list except a couple that seem to be but they didn't show up when I went to next person. Maybe I should have waited until page fully loaded instead of jumping to add them??? Patience is not my middle name that's for sure, nor following instructions!?! :rolleyes: Anyhow will check later before I delete all those on block list.

Luv ya'all :wub:

Pat

God bless everyone

Just discovered something new about PM's.

When you are added to a member's Friend List, you are notified by an email.

When you go to Besttechie to read it, there is none to be read.

At least this is my experience.

Has anyone else have this problem??

Same here, because I just got an email from "Besttechie" that

you added me to "Friend List".

Edited by Flatiron

That's not a problem, that email is just a notification that someone added you as a friend, nothing more.

B

That's not a problem, that email is just a notification that someone added you as a friend, nothing more.

B

Now that email thing is really irritating!!! Thanks handplane for confirming that's what happened. So I just checked my seldom used email and yep there were several added friend emails there too, making a big deal out of such a simple board function thing. Seems like SPAM to me!!!

Is there an option to not have such useless stuff sent to our email? It's bad enough to have it clogging up our profile page....so high school!!! Did I mention it seems like SPAM????

Alot of this new stuff seems so high school, if even that... as in totally boring!!!

A new, bad in my opinion, feature I just found out tonight the hard way is that those of us on dialup who used to be able to keep a page or two or three of 'view new posts' up while offline taking a break to have supper or when cutoff by our dialup service due to bypassing their max time for a session could come back later and redialup and still be logged in!!!. Well I sent handplane a PM earlier, put up 3 windows of pages of 'view new posts' that I hadn't caught up on yet, stopped my dialup internet service for awhile, had supper and came back online and found out I was logged off BT and only a guest. Luckily I could still view any and all the threads on those pages without losing the pages/threads, but had to do it the long way via from the beginning of thread or whatever guessed page I chose to read. Didn't dare log in again until I read the threads that were of interest for fear I would lose them totally and have to go the real long route via each section of the forum for past 10 or 12 days. The old way wasn't hurting the BT server I don't think since I wasn't online via my dialup, it was just a way to make life easier for those of us on dialup and was such a convenient nice feature. I sure will miss it. Though hope it can be restored??? Please Jeff?

I think this new upgrade is not as great as it is cracked up to be, in my opinion. Sorry about that.

Slow to load all the bloated stuff on dialup, dropped good features, added dubious value new ones...oh my...!!! What part of if it isn't broke don't fix or over-improve it don't designers understand nowadays?

Sorry but that is how I feel about it. Yep I'm back to grouchy again.

Pat

God bless everyone

Hiya Pat and everyone else.

If you are still getting notices that your PMs are not going through, it is because the recipient accidentally has you blocked, regardless if you have unblocked them

Is there an option to not have such useless stuff sent to our email?
To disable this go to your profile, click Settings. Look for Notification Options. There, you can choose whether or not to be email alerted for certain things.

As for you being logged out, that seems very strange to me. I'm not an Admin, so I don't know how the cookies are set on the forums, but are you sure that was an issue on the site's end? I doubt the login cookies would have a setting to expire in of just a couple hours. I may be wrong, but are you sure you didn't log out by mistake? Do you choose the 'remember me' option so you're logged in whenever you come to BT, or do you manually login every time?

Matt

Matt, I had to log in, too. I logged out and logged in on Son's account to PM Nancy with the fixes for her quirk (finally thought of that option! Glad I know Aron's password! :)), logged back in as Blim, checked the "remember me", was offline for a quite a few hours doing supper and laundry and Mommystuff, checked back here and had to log in again. (Forgive that run on sentence!)

Seeing as after the upgrade, I had to log in; I just figured Jeff was tinkering with things again and didn't think anything of it until I read this.

Liz

Hiya Pat and everyone else.

If you are still getting notices that your PMs are not going through, it is because the recipient accidentally has you blocked, regardless if you have unblocked them

Is there an option to not have such useless stuff sent to our email?
To disable this go to your profile, click Settings. Look for Notification Options. There, you can choose whether or not to be email alerted for certain things.

As for you being logged out, that seems very strange to me. I'm not an Admin, so I don't know how the cookies are set on the forums, but are you sure that was an issue on the site's end? I doubt the login cookies would have a setting to expire in of just a couple hours. I may be wrong, but are you sure you didn't log out by mistake? Do you choose the 'remember me' option so you're logged in whenever you come to BT, or do you manually login every time?

Matt

Hi Matt, only have a couple of minutes before Cfaith cuts me off on allotted time, so will check back in tomorrow to try to disable the email notification thing (which I'm sure I previously disabled a long time ago).

As for the other, no didn't log off BT even by accident...and usually when I'm totally done I do log out though the remember me part works to remember my screen name and password when I come back...but this time the system logged me out even with pages still up ready to use as I have many times before with clicking on new posts red square thingy on thread but it didn't have it this time and I was a guest. so will try not logging out tongit.

Gotta go. Thanks

Pat

God bless everyone

I also get logged out, quite frequently and have to log back in. No set pattern, as overnight I thought sure I would have to log back in, and did not. I also thought Jeff was working on some things, so did not think anything of it at first. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I did not see anyone else saying anything about it, so I figured FF was acting up again.

I only have one site (Dell) that will log me out automatically using FF, yet when I use IE7 it keeps me logged in. That is why I figured it was a FF thing.

All the other forums I go to keep me logged in with FF and IE7. post-27-1169387464.gif