Pentium M Conductive Tape

I am replacing a power jack(well at least trying) on a dell 600m laptop. This uses a pentium m proc. I thought it used a regular heating pad like desktops, so I scraped it off. I was going to reapply regular heatsink compound. It turns out is has a thin piece of conductive foil, which I have ruined. Do you think the foil is necessary? Do you think just applying regular heatsink compound will be sufficient?

Edited by shanenin

I've never had a lappy apart. This site, heatsink tape, uses aluminum instead or copper but it serves the same purpose. Their main claim is ease of automated installation and no added clips to secure the heatsink. Other than that it's the same as thermal compound. I think if you lap the heatsink you should be OK. I'll keep looking, though

Mark

I've never had a lappy apart. This site, heatsink tape, uses aluminum instead or copper but it serves the same purpose. Their main claim is ease of automated installation and no added clips to secure the heatsink. Other than that it's the same as thermal compound. I think if you lap the heatsink you should be OK. I'll keep looking, though

Mark

Revised link for heatsink tape.

Thanks guys for the links :-)

It seems that you would use the tape in places where their is not good pressure holding the heatsink onto the die. Their are 4 spring loaded screws that seem to be giving good pressure. Do you guys have a opinion, in regards to regular compound doing a good job in this situation?

edit added later//

as stated above, I think this is more for easy manufacture. I think compound will work equally well

Edited by shanenin

I had the cpu off of a HP zv5000. It had thermal compound grease. Reapplied a dab good to go until the power plug died, replaced the mobo (thanks to ebay) another dab of grease and off we went, up and running again. It also had the 4 spring loaded screws. I counted the turns until it bottomed out then when I replaced the cpu I bottomed the screw then backed off X turns. When I replaced the mobo i just kinda went by feel, gut feeling.

M

Mark

Revised link for heatsink tape.

I was in a hurry and didn't check my link. Thanks Sethook

Mark

I had my freind help me with the desoldering and soldering of the new power jack. In the process he broke off a very small chip. The laptop works great when plugged in. It does not want to charge the battery(it is not even trying to charge). I think that may have been what the chip was used for. I Gave a price of $145 for parts(I gave my friend $60) and labor to install the new power jack. Hopefully my customer will be understanding. Below is the picture of the chip.

picture046yo2.th.jpg

their is a chance the battery is bad, and the problem was preexisting. More then likely that chip that is no longer there served a purpose(charging system) :-) I won't know until I talk to her later.

edit added later//

I just spoke with her on the phone. she said she always used it plugged in. It is not an issue. I guess I got lucky. I still wonder if that chip was doing an important job :(

Edited by shanenin

Turns out the charging system was fine. I tried another battery and it was working the way it is supposed to.

As to your questions. The part appeared black with with two contacts. It made a connection by two solder joints on top of the board. It does not have leads that go into the board. It did not seem broken(I could see both contacts, although one was nearly invisible), but it is so small it seemed next to impossible to reattach it, also, it was not not obvious on which side connected to which side.

Edited by shanenin