Bubba's New Ride

I picked up this little beauty yesturday in Princeton, TX. (which is just north of Dallas) It's a little rough around the edges and Ill need a tetanus shot soon, but it runs like a top. It's an 85' Ford F150 w/ the 302 V8. (fuel injected) I paid $750 +TTL. Once I gitter cleaned up and put the CB in she'll look great. It leaks a little oil, but hey, its 21 year old... (hmm, it can drink now :rolleyes: )

100_0400.jpg

Now instead of beating Civics in my Focus, I can roll over them in my F150. Thank you Lord and Mr. Ford...

I think Hubby's jealous! I asked him if the Ford F150 was a full sized truck or a little truck, read your post to him and he got off the couch to look at the picture!

He has a 1990 (Chevy?) Cheyenne but not in as good as shape as yours. Michigan Winters! But it's still his Precious Baby!

Liz

I picked up this little beauty yesturday in Princeton, TX. (which is just north of Dallas) It's a little rough around the edges and Ill need a tetanus shot soon, but it runs like a top. It's an 85' Ford F150 w/ the 302 V8. (fuel injected) I paid $750 +TTL. Once I gitter cleaned up and put the CB in she'll look great. It leaks a little oil, but hey, its 21 year old... (hmm, it can drink now :rolleyes: )

100_0400.jpg

Now instead of beating Civics in my Focus, I can roll over them in my F150. Thank you Lord and Mr. Ford...

Nice find.

a $750 compact car would look like an 88 Civic DX 4-Door I bet.

not a bad lookin truck there. High fun potential for that thing. Kinda wish my 66 3/4 ton Chevy with a 350 wasn't such a pile. I kinda wish it was still mine if it worked right and didn't look so bad. It's my brother's now and he's tryin to sell it and the 78 1/2 ton.

I see "dune buggy material" written all over that truck.

hmmm, let's see...first strip off the body...then shorten the frame 18"

put some big "mudders" on the rear...get rid of the auto tranny..............yessssssssssssss

100_0400.jpg

Nice Truck ;)

Brian

A verstatile vehicle for very little money! Wonder what a $750 compact car looks like ... :P
... [hubby] got off the couch to look at the picture! ...

Whoa ... :blink:

AND it wasn't during a commercial, either! :D

Oh, Bearskin, dunerunning is hard on the vehicle! Sand gets everywhere where you don't want it to be....Now a twotracker..I remember folks telling my Dad he was stupid for taking his brand new truck in the woods to haul wood because it would get scratched. He'd say,

"Its a TRUCK. That's what they're built for!! They're supposed to get scratched!"

Liz

.. I remember folks telling my Dad he was stupid for taking his brand new truck in the woods to haul wood because it would get scratched. He'd say, "Its a TRUCK. That's what they're built for!! They're supposed to get scratched!" Liz

I felt the same way with my truck. Someone borrowed it and a small branch went through the grill, "I'm SO sorry!" Hey, you were having a ball off-road and ... it's a truck! It was doing what it was meant to do.

However, when another borrower loaded a Harley into the back but didn't remove the tailgate and it bent under the weight of the motorcycle ... THAT, I thought was a stupid thing to do and I got mad ("I didn't know you could remove the tailgate," he claims ... really? Is it just me, or do ALL men know tailgates easily unlatch? -- Well, from American trucks at least -- eh, maybe it's just me).

Haha, no, no offroad racing for this old truck. The auto trans mught have to go anyhow. hehe

I have a black 1991 XLT Lariat, only owner.

OOOooo. Pretty.

What engine does it have?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

This was the 3rd vehicle I looked at that day. The first was a 01' Ranger that i had seen on autotrader. They only wanted $1800 for it. Turns out they "forgot" to mention the interior was like a toasted marshmellow. :angry:

When i took this truck for a test drive the damn thing broke down. I had to walk back to the dealership in the sleet and freezing rain. Apperntly the staff isnt too good at keeping gas in the vehicles. Ha!

Oh well... The total cost was around $1350 for the truck, taxes, and a new set of tires. Now Ive got plugs, wires, air fuel & trans. filters, plus PCV valve sittin in the bed for when it warms up a little.

I made the mistake of getting the oil changed at Walmart. I specificaly said Motorcraft oil and filter. I do NOT want your Fram crap. "Ok". What do they do? Fram oil filter... Grrrr. Oh, BTW, never use Fram or Penzoil oil filters....

OOOooo. Pretty.

It has a 4.9L EFI I-6 Engine with 109,816 miles on it.

Over the years I had a bunch of offers to buy, when I was ready to rid of it.

Nice engine. Good power but still gets good milage.

Royal Purple is a waste of money (IMO). Ive got a a jug of Mobil 1 waiting to put in my Focus, but Ill probably never use it again. Motor craft oil and filter = high quality oil change for $13.

OOOooo. Pretty.

It has a 4.9L EFI I-6 Engine with 109,816 miles on it.

Over the years I had a bunch of offers to buy, when I was ready to rid of it.

Nice engine. Good power but still gets good milage.

Royal Purple is a waste of money (IMO). Ive got a a jug of Mobil 1 waiting to put in my Focus, but Ill probably never use it again. Motor craft oil and filter = high quality oil change for $13.

... never use Fram or Penzoil oil filters....

I remember a long, long time ago, Fram was the highest rated filters ... did you have a bad experience or do you know something's changed since then?

I use ... Whatever they slap on at Jiffy Lube. :blush:

My brother-in-law, a towmotor mech. for many years quit using them. He had a reason but I forgot why. I seem to remember something about the threads but I could be wrong.

Mark

Most, if not all the independant oil filter tests Ive seen ranked Fram (which also makes Penzoil filters) lowest every time. Some say, flat out, just dont use them. They mention reasons such as cheap workmanship, leaky anti drainback valves and other things.

So, since Fram alternatives are the same price but better, I usually say stay away from them.

Edited by Bubba Bob

usually since I don't like driving 45 minutes to the Honda dealer to get filters, I just cruise on in to Slo'Reilly's and grab a Wix and a gallon of Mobil1. Run home, drive my car up on the ramps and let my brother take care of it cause I hate burning my self :thumbsup: usually he's there when I need an oil change and he's changing his vehicles' oil too so he usually just does it for me. I can do it, I just don't like to. :rolleyes:

It is interesting, but take it with a grain of salt as he himself states:

... I am an Electrical Engineer with no qualifications in the area of filtration analysis. However, I have eyes and some common sense, which has proven to be enough to accomplish what I set out to do. ...

There were some very objective notes ("I don't like it" sort of thing), but also some irrefutably accurate observations.

• 2 months later...

An extrelmly good forum for lubrication (get yer minds out of the gutter) is http://www.Bobistheoilguy.com. Two thumbs up there.

I got a carfax on the truck today. Turns out the Odometer has rolled over twice giving this truck 202,000 miles. Good ol' Ford.

Ive got a few mods on her so far. A sony Xplod CD player and two speakers, a Uniden CB radio w/ a Wilson Silver Load antenna. Plus a water temp and oil pressure gauge. Ive got a class three hitch reciever waiting to go on when ever I get the urge to drill the holes.

Unfourtunatley w/ this many miles the oil pressure is quite low. Lows 20s on the highway and around 7 or 8 at idle :blink: Im thinking on going with 20w50 oil. Any thoughts on that?

20070203_00087.gif

20070211_00121.gif

20070215_00139.jpg

Edited by Bubba Bob

you could always replace the oil pump, and check the pressure in each piston. I have a 90 dodge caravan with a 2.5L turbo that has the same issue, the pressure is good in all cylinders so I am replacing the oil pump. usually oil pressure drops because of two reasons, Oil Pump gets clogged a the screen or it just wears down, or the cylinder pressure drops because it needs new piston rings.

Oil pump is the cheapest way to start if you plan on messing with the engine components, and it usually only takes about 1 to 2 hours start to finish. If it turns out to be cylinder pressure issues, or leaking piston rings then you are talking about overhauling the engine, that can get pricey. Just some suggestions on that.

Hey Dragon,

On this truck the oil pump is a weekend job. The engine needs raising and the radiator pulled to get the oil pan off. At 200k Im betting on the bottom end being worn out. Like you said, that can get pricey, so Im hoping thicker oil will help. If this oil pressure doesnt increase with thicker oil... dropping the pan will deff. have to be done :unsure:

BTW, hows the 'Scort doin?