Vista's Firewall

Do not be deceived by the Firewall in Windows Vista.

It is a fully configurable firewall with plenty of power. And highly configurable once you enter it's Enhanced Interface.

Note: The firewall in Vista is set by default, half disabled.

You should learn about Vista's firewall, and set it up to fill your own needs.

Here is a link that should help you learn and configure Vista's Firewall to receive the best protection for your system.

Vista's Firewall

Note: I found a Control Panel (free and paid versions) That allows you more control over Vista's Firewall. It set rules as you go. Like the Learning Mode in other firewall programs. Asking if you want to allow this or that, also how much control. And for both incoming and outgoing rules.

So far it's working like a charm for me, and is easy to understand. I like deciding for myself what to allow and what to block.

Sphinx Software - Vista Firewall Control Panel 1.0.5

Safe Surfing

JSKY

Edited by JSKY
Add Control Panel Extension Link
  • 1 month later...

Such as a router with NAT?

If that's what you mean, I'd have to say for the most part that's usually all you need. However, let it be known it's a not a true hardware firewall. Also, if you have a router I recommend you disable uPnP if you haven't already.

B

• 1 month later...

Good advice Jeff!

Also Martint, you'll probably find about 80% of knowledgable users who have a Hardware Firewall such as a Router with NAT, will also run a trusted software firewall client as well. These 2 will not conflict like 2 software solutions will and can actually work very well in an enhanced environment like that. I know some that use their hardware firewall to control all incoming and use a software client to better control the outgoing packets. Seems it's easier to use the s'ware interface for that purpose than it is using the h'ware one.

You can try it to see if it suits your needs, but you should also be good if you just stay with your h'ware solution also.