I Love Building Computers

I just love building them. I just got done building a "new" one for church. Preacher gave me a new motherboard and an old processor and I used a mess of parts from other computers and got me this one going.

It sports the following:

XG Sidewinder Mid-Tower ATX Case (old main computer's case, covered in blue LED fans)

Hipro 200W Micro ATX PSU (From my Compaq that has an upgraded PSU)

Biostar M7NCD Socket A nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX Motherboard (New)

AMD Duron 1600+

256MB PC2100 RAM (2 random 128MB sticks I had laying around)

PCI GeForce4 MX420 64MB DDR Video Card

40GB Seagate Hard Drive (pulled from dead eMachine a family friend gave me)

24x (I think) CD-ROM (pulled from super old Compaq from back in the day)

Samsung floppy (also pulled from the dead eMachine)

IDE cables pulled from dead eMachine

Random screws I had laying around my room

It's currently running on Fedora Core 4 Linux. I don't have any extra Windows XP licenses around and I don't want 98se on it (I can't find the disc any way) so Linux it is.

I have so much fun building these things. I wish some money so I can build myself and my parents some more computers.

ive only ever built one

and ime so proud of it im reluctant

to go up one

ive repaired friends with soft ware and hard ware

but some day ile have to build another bigger and better than this one

so ile be comming at ya

to get a few tips

marty

Edited by martymas

Built a barn (well, had help BUT I designed it myself), designed and built a closet, built, refinished and reupholstered furniture, Kids have never had a store bought Halloween or Play Costume, make my own Christmas Wreaths......couldn't imagine in a million years being clever enough to build a computer!! Mind boggling! Kudos to you guys!

Liz

Built a barn (well, had help BUT I designed it myself), designed and built a closet, built, refinished and reupholstered furniture, Kids have never had a store bought Halloween or Play Costume, make my own Christmas Wreaths......couldn't imagine in a million years being clever enough to build a computer!! Mind boggling! Kudos to you guys!

Liz

Dont worry Blim, I cant imagine building half of what you listed :rolleyes:

this new little booger is running like a dream. I just wish I knew my way around Linux a little better. I've got it hooked up to the network here now and I'm gonna update it. That is if Fedora Core 4 is still supported. I didn't like 5 as much and I couldn't find the discs for it anyway.

actually I think someone is gonna try to get an XP license for it. I just put Linux on it temporarily to make sure this thing can run correctly. Plus I haven't used Linux in ages so I thought this would be a good time to use it again.

I need to remember to pull the XP License sticker off the case. That's my license for my main computer.

goodbye Linux, I'm excavating my desk right now for that 98SE disc and the 95 disc too (98SE disc is an upgrade). I still don't know crap about Linux and can't even install a new version of Firefox so screw it. I can EASILY install Firefox 2 on 98SE. I'm sure my preacher can come up with another license of XP so this machine will eventually run on it.

if they are just websurfing, make linux work :-) 98se is fine, but it is not as stable as linux. If the congregation will be wanting to run other microsoft software like word, then maybe 98se is a better choice.

**stops working on his computer woman for just a sec and tosses a blanket to cover the items on the table**

oh i agree, i absolutely love building computers too. i just love computers. it's 1 of my favorite things. why if it was possible i might just marry 1.

**steps in front of the table and slides a dangling arm back under the blanket**

:D:unsure:

**stops working on his computer woman for just a sec and tosses a blanket to cover the items on the table**

oh i agree, i absolutely love building computers too. i just love computers. it's 1 of my favorite things. why if it was possible i might just marry 1.

**steps in front of the table and slides a dangling arm back under the blanket**

LOL :thumbsup:

Good to see you, my friend!!! :D

Especially in the winter time, if there isn't a computer torn down on my desk, my wife wants to know what's wrong. I never did post a picture in the "show your computer desk" thread, but I definitly would have placed in the top ten

Mark