Just Did Something That You Shouldn't Really Do

I made some new friends.

"Why is this bad?" you might ask. Well I did it in the most retarded way possible. I am a member of a local Tennessee automotive forum. Nice friendly bunch kinda like here but with looser mouths and most members are under 26. Well I didn't mind too much letting people know which town I'm in cause people on there meet up all the time. I was talking about one thing in one thread and I get a private message from another guy wanting to talk further about it. He also lived in the same town and asked if I'd like to cruise with him. I said sure and we met up at the mall 45 minutes later. I was a little wary but the guy was only 3 years older than me and extremely nice. We talked for a bit and cruised and did a little touge driving (curvy back roads) and then stopped so he could talk to his girlfriend and then we moved on. We stopped off some gas and then proceeded to one of his friend's house. Another Honda guy (first guy I met was Nissan 240SX guy but very cool nonetheless). He was impressed with my ride (being I had a DOHC VTEC B16 while he still had the stock SOHC VTEC D16Z6). We all then headed out for some more touge driving and ended back up at new friend #2's place and kicked back and watch some TV then some anime DVD's. Cool, so now I have more car/computer/anime loving friends to hang out with.

And I thought I was a little bit too fascinated in Japan. New friend #2's living room was filled with katanas and Japanese scrolls and he had a shelf full of anime. My bedroom is covered up in University of Tennessee crap, computer parts, guns (whether real or fake, only one real), diecast tanks, and car parts. He made me feel a tad more normal.

Touge (pronounced toga) is running on twisty, curvy roads and what not (usually back roads) and skilled drivers will try to run through some pretty hairy stuff as fast as they can.

Here's a video example:

Lead car is a B16B powered (Civic Type R motor) EK Civic Hatchback (like mine)

Camera car is a B16A2 powered (same as mine) EG Civic Hatchback (like my old one only a hatchback instead of a coupe)

These guys have skill though and are going insanely fast. We were just poking compared to these guys.

That was kind of freaky. Those cars seemed to be in the left lane without being able to see oncoming traffic do to the curves.. It seemed like a very likely possibility of a head on collision

Yup ^^ Looks incredibly stupid. Maybe they know something about that road we dont?

Nope, never heard of the term (but then, I'm not a fanboy of Japanese culture).

Of course people have been driving fast on backroads like, forever.

Only stupid people would do it on an open public road (if that's what that was) in the manner shown in the video. Stay in your lane, or kill yourselves and save innocent lives.

Still ... Looked like fun!

That's nothing new. We have a place here called thirteen curves. Many consider making it through at 70-80 miles per hour is unreal (just about every turn is marked 15 m.p.h). I nailed it at around 100 m.p.h. back in '83 with my '72 Grand Prix SJ. I left a highly modified 240Z sitting in the dust.

nice video.

maybe I'm a little critical here but it seems the lead guy was using the brakes too much.

I thought that too while watching it, but it's tough to know for sure without being there. The road may be even more extreme than it appears in a video. Or that was his/her way of being "careful" on an open, public road.

I'm glad it turned out to be an nice adventure for you and that you made some new friends Honda Boy.

I'm also glad you named the thread as you did, and added some of the same thinking into the thread. Just because it turned out ok this time, and please do still be on the watch each time you meet up with them or anyone else, it doesn't mean it couldn't have been a total disaster of the worst kind being as how the world is nowadays. Be sure to always carry what we gals used to call "mad money" to be used to get away from a situation that gets ugly or uncomfortable.

We have had several kids just disappear off the face of the earth for months if not forever here in this area in recent years, some went willingly (one teenager landed down in your part of the country with her teacher and found via a car accident there where she confessed who she was, some were kidnapped and some of their bodies were recovered, some have never been found...yes both boys and girls of all ages.

So meeting new people is a risky business with any by-chance meetings without introduction from people who know both parties, whether at school, the mall, or the internet. Having said all that, it is the way things are now adays...hopefully it will always work out ok for anyone risking that type of meeting.

Ok 'mother-hen' signing off now.

Pat

God bless everyone

well you know this dude is really cool. He, my best friend, and I all piled up at my house tonight and watched like 12 episodes of one series. Initial D. It's an anime about cars and racing. What we watched focused heavily on an old 80's Corolla GTS (a Trueno over there I think) drift racing and beating other cars. In this anime's first season the car is only 10 years old so the series is a little old.

Watching anime on an old 19" CRT Television wasn't quite as glamorous as watching it on a 42" Projection HDTV like last time. At least we had the audio going through 6.5" Pioneer Premier car speakers. Ya'll may know it as my "Ghetto Speaker Mod". :thumbsup:

again, this fellow has to be one of the best people I've met in a while. He, my best friend, and I all hang out regularly now at least once or twice a week (usually when I'm off cause their schedules are a little more free) and we pile up at someone's house (usually mine) and watch anime, eat, talk and just hang out. It's like I've known this guy forever. Hmm, ya never know who'll you meet sometimes. I bet my parents are happy that I'm a not always sitting up in my room alone. Used to, I never had many friends come over, nor did I go to friends' houses often but over the past few years I've changed and now, I'm at other people's places and having people over here a lot. Heck even my room has been rearranged a little for optimum viewing of the TV by 3 people. The chairs are weird though. My computer chair (usually my best friend is in it during anime time), the recliner (MINE!!!!) and one of those really nice folding out door chairs (new friend's spot) those ones that have the cup holders built in th arms and fold up to a really small size so you can slip them into a cover and move them around. Really great seating huh. I need to get me a couch for my room and ditch the recliner. It's alright but having a couch would be so much more convenient. That's beside the point. I'm gaining new friends all the time now. I'm even meeting new people at college and I hang out with them too. Goodbye the anti-social old me and hello new me with more friends. (back in middle school and earlier I had slight social issues and I had very few friends. I met my best friend in 8th grade though and that's probably when the the social healing process started)