Hi everyone I havent talked on this form for ever, (been busy with alot of diffrent things in life). I have taken up hunting and have been doing that lately and I also got a new truck w/35" tires so have been doing some 4-weeling :D . anyway one of my buddys is having me fix his computer and when i plug it in and turn it on it turns on for just a second then off. no booting on the screen, nothing comes up. I have checked the cpu fan the heatsink but I cant figure it out. the computer is a custom built computer that is not even a year old. help please. :thumbsup:

I think it is industry standard to start checking parts. I would first try a new power supply, it is the easiest thing to check. If you don't have an extra one, you could pull one out of your machine :-)

edit added later//

I am not sure if a faulty switch could cause a problem like that. You could rule out the power switch by finding out what two prongs it is connected to, then remove it. Then just try and start the computer by jumping the connection with a metal object(like a screw driver). Don't hold it just make the connection for a fraction of a second.

Edited by shanenin

Make sure the motherboard isn't loose and shifted causing it to short out against the case. Are the standoffs in the correct location? Also make sure that the heatsink is installed correctly with properly applied thermal compound which could make it overheat and shutdown.

Hi everyone I havent talked on this form for ever, (been busy with alot of diffrent things in life). I have taken up hunting and have been doing that lately and I also got a new truck w/35" tires so have been doing some 4-weeling :D . anyway one of my buddys is having me fix his computer and when i plug it in and turn it on it turns on for just a second then off. no booting on the screen, nothing comes up. I have checked the cpu fan the heatsink but I cant figure it out. the computer is a custom built computer that is not even a year old. help please. :thumbsup:

Did he put in any new memory? Check the memory for tightness, same with the CPU and all cables. Sometimes unplugging the Power to the motherboard and then plugging it in again will start it up. Might be a bad ground. Might have to check how he has the motherboard attached to the case. A slight move to another room can cause it to short out. Check these and post back.

I have a 2 year old HP on the bench doing the same thing. Reseated all connectors and cards including ram. Don't have a PSU. Odd thing is that the machine has been on the bench for well over a year. I was working fine last time it was powered on, over a year ago. Now the customer wants it back. Go figure.

Will track the suggestions and results of this thread, might help me.

M

Hey yall I just tried a diffrent power supply and that was the problem. It seems that the power supply thats in it is fairly new, oh well. I allredy found a powersupply for it and it is back in its owerns hands. thanks guys :thumbsup: