Indian Government May Shut Door On Microsoft

Cool stuff, SuSe 10 rules

Agreed. Little by little the penguin is making inroads into the PC marketplace. There seems to be quite a bit of growth in Europe and Asia. The business community is getting used to the idea of Linux:-)

One, among many, of linux's huge strengths is its resistance to spyware. Once a computer is running, it should stay stable. Nowadays windows computer can be overrun with spyware in just a few months(or weeks) to the point of being almost useless. Then you have to pay IT to fix it

One, among many, of linux's huge strengths is its resistance to spyware. Once a computer is running, it should stay stable. Nowadays windows computer can be overrun with spyware in just a few months(or weeks) to the point of being almost useless. Then you have to pay IT to fix it

Well-said, shanenin:-) That's one of the things that can almost become boring about Linux is the rock-solid stability. I have four PCs at home, one is my daughter's Windows box. I spend the most time maintaining that unit, scanning for spyware, viruses, trojans, defragging the unit, etc, etc. Windows is way too much work to maintain.

My three Linux boxes just run.......and run........and run. :D

The main reason I'm learning Linux is stability. Plus, I do not like the direction M$ is going with VISTA. You have to wonder though, as Linux gains in popularity, sooner or later there's going to be people learning how to hack it

Mark

The main reason I'm learning Linux is stability. Plus, I do not like the direction M$ is going with VISTA. You have to wonder though, as Linux gains in popularity, sooner or later there's going to be people learning how to hack it

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was also attracted to Linux because of its legendary stability. It is a very stable OS. I also like the cost factor, many exceptional Linux distros are free. I will probably buy a Vista box for my daughter in 6 months to a year, but, I'll let the early adopters find all of the bugs, and let the hardware vendors become Vista compliant.

Yes, Linux can be hacked, but, it isn't as easy a target as Windows. Also, Linux distros are quickly patched when vulnerabilities are discovered.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was also attracted to Linux because of its legendary stability. It is a very stable OS. I also like the cost factor, many exceptional Linux distros are free. I will probably buy a Vista box for my daughter in 6 months to a year, but, I'll let the early adopters find all of the bugs, and let the hardware vendors become Vista compliant.

Yes, Linux can be hacked, but, it isn't as easy a target as Windows. Also, Linux distros are quickly patched when vulnerabilities are discovered.

Kind of drifting away from the post's subject, let me ask you this. Do you recomend a firewall, anti-virus, and malware detection programs for Linux for a precaution? I noticed Grisoft has a free down load for Linux.

Mark

Edited by garmanma

All i use is my router as a nat based firewall. If you do not use a router, I would definitely install a software based firewall. As far as I know, their is not any spyware in the Linux world. In theory you could get a virus, but in practice it is pretty much non-existent.

Edited by shanenin
Kind of drifting away from the post's subject, let me ask you this. Do you recomend a firewall, anti-virus, and malware detection programs for Linux for a precaution? I noticed Grisoft has a free down load for Linux.

Mark

I have run Linux anti-virus programs in the past, but, don't right now. If you are running your Linux box as a regular user and not as root you are reasonably safe from being hacked. Also having your computer behind a router offers good protection as well. Is this perfect? No. But, it is good enough for my needs.

I hope that helps. I also posted a thread here about detecting rootkits which you may find interesting. All of the mainstream Linux distros regularly offer security updates that you can download, install to keep your box secure. If you update your box you'll be in good shape, imho. :D