I am searching around all of the tech support sites in an effort to resolve a really irritating problem which has recently appeared on my system. Needless 2 say, I have already approached Microsoft, & further needless 2 say they are as much use as a chocolate saucepan !!!

I have a large number of mp3 files stored on a USB drive. They are all properly tagged, using Tag&Rename.

I have (XP Pro) Explorer set up to display file details, including fields such as duration, bitrate, album etc.

However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that although all of the column headings are still properly displayed, the actual metadata within the fields is missing. If I select File, Properties, Advanced, the details are not displayed either.

However, I know that the tags are still in place, and strangely enough Windows Media Player Library confirms this by displaying all of the missing information in that view.

My PC is completely up to date in terms of Microsoft updates, and the only significant changes that I can recall over the last few weeks is the installation of Media Player 11, and the removal of iTunes.

I have posted questions to the Microsoft Media Player forum, but to date nobody has any suggestions to offer from over there.

So, I wonder if there are any other folk around who have suffered a similar problem, either recently, or in the past.

Maybe somebody could suggest where this information is controlled within the Registry etc ??

I unfortunately believe that this is a "feature" of WMP11, but even when I roll back to WMP10 the problem still remains.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me steadily crazy.