New Usb Devices Not Recognized

after trying to install a new digital camera on my girlfriend's laptop, i realized all new usb devices are not recognized. camera would not install-- i tried purchasing a USB memory card reader which also would not be recognized by the laptop.

upon plugging in the device three short low beeps play and there is no prompt indicating the recognition of a new device.

any ideas??

yeah, i tried installing drivers/software first and there was a problem, something about not being compatible and the possibility of causing an error in windows?... either way, no new usb devices will be recognized, my usb flash drive was recognized, her printer, and her scanner were all recognized, but my camera, her new camera, my ipod, the memory card reader, my usb keyboard, usb headset, usb mouse, none of them would read on her laptop, all the same with the 3 beeps :\

after trying to install a new digital camera on my girlfriend's laptop, i realized all new usb devices are not recognized. camera would not install-- i tried purchasing a USB memory card reader which also would not be recognized by the laptop.

upon plugging in the device three short low beeps play and there is no prompt indicating the recognition of a new device.

any ideas??

But previously installed USB devices are still recognized if they are disconnected and reconnected?

Or is the USB not working at all?

I think that three short beeps in reference to USB means drive recognition failure or no drive attached. This can be caused by removing a drive without first clicking safely remove hardware.

I would uninstall all software related to these devices.

Go to device manager and click view/ choose show hidden devices

Locate each entry under USB devices and select one at a time and click remove. May have to vary order to get them all.

Restart and let windows redetect the ones which are actually connected.

Then reboot and try to install.

it is a sony vaio, and yes all previously installed/attached USB devices work properly if removed/reattached. to test, i uninstalled all software relating to one of the devices - her printer, and tried re-attaching, and the same thing happened with the 3 short beeps.

I tried removing all information pertaining to usb devices from device manager, and there was no luck in the reattachment of the new devices. =\

I don't know how recent your laptop is. Is the usb port an usb 1 or usb 2? Because on my older desktop which only has an usb 1 port, when I plug in my mp3 player which requires an usb 2 connection, the computer just keep searching and doesn't recognise my mp3 at all. Plug the mp3 in my newer computer, it recognises the mp3 as drive H in no time. Both desktops run on XP.