Hello, today after I took out my old keyboard and put my new keyboard in, for some odd reason, I cant see anything on my monitor. As in,no display what so ever.

The computer starts up normally, The fans is spinning, hardrive spinning, but no display...

I even put the old keyboard back and even tried without keyboard, still no display on my monitor.

I tried the monitor on other computer and it works fine.

My mohterboard is a Biostar sckt478 P4m80-m4 with a Celeron 2.6, along with one stick of 512 ram.

The video is on board, however, I did try a PCI video card and no display....

I tried another PSU, and nope.

I removed cmos battery put it back in..and nope

I put cmos jumper on 2-3 booted and nope, and then put it back to 1-2 and booted and still nope.

Hello, today after I took out my old keyboard and put my new keyboard in, for some odd reason, I cant see anything on my monitor. As in,no display what so ever.

The computer starts up normally, The fans is spinning, hardrive spinning, but no display...

I even put the old keyboard back and even tried without keyboard, still no display on my monitor.

I tried the monitor on other computer and it works fine.

My mohterboard is a Biostar sckt478 P4m80-m4 with a Celeron 2.6, along with one stick of 512 ram.

The video is on board, however, I did try a PCI video card and no display....

I tried another PSU, and nope.

I removed cmos battery put it back in..and nope

I put cmos jumper on 2-3 booted and nope, and then put it back to 1-2 and booted and still nope.

what operating system.........??

in XP you are given the chance to use the "hardware removal" function before you remove anything, in this case, the keyboard.

it is strange this would happen. i would not even at this time venture to guess that somehow you managed to unseat the on-board video card, as that's nearly impossible, since the keyboard ps2 is way up higher on the tower than the video connection.

i would try again to remove the CMOS battery, this time for say about 10 minutes. but before you do this, do a "hard shutdown" of your pc by holding in the power button as you shut down the pc for about 1 minute, never letting up on the switch.

then, unplug the pc from the WALL socket.

then remove the CMOS battery for 10 full minutes.

i would wait till the 10 minutes is up, then, plug in the NEW keyboard, then the BATTERY, then the wall plug.

reboot.

your motherboard may also have a jumper to clear the CMOS, for that, you need to look near the battery area.

Edited by pro1driver

Did you notice if the computer posts(beeps) still when booting it? It is looking like the motherboard. To be sure, disconnect everything, including your harddrive and cdrom, It should still boot to a basic bios screen. To rule out the memory, try another stick of memory, or test the memory you have in a different machine.

Look at the capacitors on the motherboard, see if the tops are round and bulging, or even leaking.

Hmm, I have a question though.

Since it's intergrated graphics, and i heard that intergrated graphics use ram for memory, and since...I am goign to take out my ram, would it still work?

According to the Biostar # you posted, the board has an AGP slot, at least that what it says on Biostar's site

Mark

Hmm, I have a question though.

Since it's intergrated graphics, and i heard that intergrated graphics use ram for memory, and since...I am goign to take out my ram, would it still work?

According to the Biostar # you posted, the board has an AGP slot, at least that what it says on Biostar's site

Mark

Yes, but it also has intergrated graphics.

I use intergraed graphics on that PC because i do not have any AGP cards.

A couple more questions. Were the keyboards USB? When you tried the PCI card, did you disable onboard video in the BIOS and did you remember to turn it back on when you took the card out?

Mark

you definately need the memory. I meant everything but the memory. Are yu able to test the memory in another computer, or try a different stick?

I tried another stick of Ram that I know works for sure (used in friends PC).

A couple more questions. Were the keyboards USB? When you tried the PCI card, did you disable onboard video in the BIOS and did you remember to turn it back on when you took the card out?

Mark

Keyboard was Ps/2.

I cant disable the Onboard video in Bios, because I am not able to see it :P

..and that is the problem. Nothing is coming on the monitor :(

Just a back to basics question here but you do have the monitor turned on, and plugged into a known good working plug, right? And if so does the monitor's indicator light show it is on?

I hope you get it solved so it works right for you.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat
Just a back to basics question here but you do have the monitor turned on, and plugged into a known good working plug, right? And if so does the monitor's indicator light show it is on?

I hope you get it solved so it works right for you.

Pat

God bless everyone

Yupp, Monitor is definitly on.

However..here's the thing.

When I first turn on the monitor, the light is green, then after like 5 seconds it turns yellow.

If I take out the VGA cable from monitor, it goes back to green.

LCD monitor or CRT?

If CRT, I have heard they need to be shut off and turned back on periodically to degaus(?) them.

Whichever one you have, have you tried shutting it off and leaving it off for awhile then turning it back on?

Does the on light, if it has one, show up on keyboard too?

Maybe bad cable or bad/loose connection?

Pat

God bless everyone

You have done a thorough job of checking everything. I would fell confident saying the motherboard is bad. With that said, I have thrown out motherboards in the past, only to figure out later, that something else caused the problem :blush:

Edited by shanenin

They're not all that bad. Every board out there has some detractors, some more than others. Personally, I'd never buy a PCchips board. Not even on a budget. Some people can't stand Shuttle, but I've never had a single problem with mine. I have an old Biostar I'm working on now. The BIOS got corrupted big time, but it was totally my fault. It's a good board

Mark

One thing you might look at is the solder connection on your mother board to your graphics port. A weak point could have broke away when you were moving your tower around.

One thing you might look at is the solder connection on your mother board to your graphics port. A weak point could have broke away when you were moving your tower around.

Good idea. As long as you got it out inspect the entire board for cold solder joints and burnt or bulging resistors or capacitors

Mark

Edited by garmanma