How To Take A Screen Shot Of Video

Well I was trying to take a screen shot of something I was watching so I could make a cool signature for another forum and well it didn't quite work. I had it in full screen mode and I pushed Print Screen. I opend paint and clicked paste well it would have just a big black space and then when I took the video out of full screen (I still had the player in the back ground running cause I was listening to the opening song) I noticed that the video was playing with the player minimized (same size as when not in full screen) on the this space. Well I thought lemme save this and see what happens. I saved it and opened it up in the Windows pictue viewer and hit play on the player. The video was playing in the image. Ok that's weird. It was a Bitmap too. strange.

So how in the heck do I take an AVI (or MKV, MKV's did the same thing) Video screen shot with either Winamp or DivX. It's drivin me nuts.

Thank you.

*also if I do print screen when not in fullscreen the desktop shows but the video is playing the little space where ever it is and if I stop the video and close the player then it's just black on the screen shot. What's the deal here?

Edited by Honda_Boy

Well it looks like neither DivX nor WinAmp have a built in screen shot function. so I'll try VLC. DivX is starting to tick me off though. I originally liked it better than WinAmp but now it some of my Videos won't work in it or will work better in WinAmp. Overall I still prefer it's interface over WinAmp.

If I like VLC better I'll use it from now on.

* I think I will stick with DivX. When I want screen shots I'll use VLC. I didn't care for it too much. Seemed to not cooperate with my system too well.

Edited by Honda_Boy

If you use Windows Media Player you can do this quite easily...

Go to Tools => Options => Performance tab and you'll see something called Video Acceleration with a slider, move the slider all the way to the left so it's at None, then play the video in WMP and take the screen shot using Print Screen. See how that works out for you. B)

B

Just so you know (and I don't have the deep technical knowledge to fully explain it) there's something called a "video overlay" that essentially bypasses the desktop driver to better display video. That's why it ain't there when you take a snapshot of the desktop. And it explains why the advice about turning down video acceleration would work: It likely stops using that overlay procedure (though I wonder if the video quality might suffer).

Just so ya'll know this was the image I was trying to get.

pssig.png

I was using this as my signature before

higurashi2.jpg

but then another member made this one for me

techy.jpg

so I ended up going back to the bloody faced girl. Oh, my name on automotive forums is Techy. I started using that name on Honda-Tech cause it woulda been a little dumb for my name to Honda_Boy on there. Many members of TennSpeed are from Honda-Tech so I kept the same name.