Attaching Remote Speakers

OK, I'm not an A/V nut by any means. I just got my mother a new TV for Christmas. She's very hard of hearing so I would like to put some speakers by her chair. Not surround sound, just one or two of my old stereo speakers. The TV has a coaxial digital output on the back. Do I need a converter, pre-amp, or what? Most everything I'm Googling pertains to home theater systems. I really don't know what I'm searching for.

Thanks

Mark

I'd go a little more low-tech than using a coaxial digital connection. Are you sure there are no other outputs, line level, headphone, speakers, something? Another option would be a device designed specifically for the hard-of-hearing, but then they usually connect to the types of outputs I've mentioned.

If you have to go with the digital output it's beyond my level of knowledge. Seems you'd need a relatively new amplifier.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm out of luck. I was hoping there was an inexpensive solution. This is what's on the TV:

The plugs on the back are:

S-Video In

Audio(L/R)Video In-(video01)

Component IDigital Audio Out

On the front I have:

Audio/Video In for a camcorder or a game consol

I've haven't searched the hearing impaired site yet. I was going to try that today.

Thanks

Mark

A long time ago I modified ("modded" in today's language) a TV by taking the case off (careful, there's high voltage in there long after the set's been unplugged), attaching a switch and jack to the speaker wires, and mounting the switch & jack to the cabinet. I could then plug in my (homemade) speakers to the jack (which disabled the internal speakers). Radio Shack would have all the parts you'd need.

My mom's in failing health. All she does is sit and watch TV 24/7. I couldn't have the set down for more than an hour without her raising a fuss. Had I known before hand that my wife bought the set, I would have had time to wire in a switch and jack. I'm fairly compitent(?) with electronics. I forgot I have an old VCR with Audio out. I'm going to see if that will work. Now I just got to get her out of the room long enough to snake speaker wire under the carpet

Thanks

Mark