It's Official: I'm A "cranky Ol' Man"

It's raining cats 'n' dogs, or so I thought. It was coming down so hard it sounded like I had left a window open, it was THAT loud. I glance outside and it didn't LOOK like it was coming down that hard, but it sure sounded bad.

I need to go shopping, open the garage door, and water's POURING out of the gutter along it's entire length. It's like a waterfall. So THAT'S why I heard so much water, I had a waterfall going on over the garage.

There's a trickle coming out of the downspout ... There aren't any trees nearby ... so WHAT is blocking the gutter?

In the rain, I had to suit up, climb a ladder and what do I find?

A neighbor kid's toy plugging the downspout. A small hacky-sack-type ball. Just the right size it would appear.

So I'm cold, wet, and muttering to myself. At least I have yet another toy to add to my collection. :lol:

I don't suspect any foul play (the kids are too young, most likely just lost the ball on my roof) but gee, wouldn't that be a cool trick to tick someone off? Toss a ball just the right size into their gutter?

Hey JDoors....Want another fun one.

If you know friends who have Dish TV.... Place a nickel on the pick-up head. A dime is to small and a quarter to big. Blocks the signal right now. They'll search for hours trying to find the problem... Lot's of fun watching them.

And I know that you mean TT. Who ever coined the phrase "Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards Men" never spend an hour in a mall :wacko:

LOL, JDoors! At least you found out what the problem was! I remember plenty of times when my kids had to go "confess to a bad throw" to the neighbors to fetch their ball--too bad your neighbor kids didn't do that. And I know you're really not a cranky ol' man :)

Like Terrorist said, don't shop if you don't have to! Geez, I read in the newspaper today that area stores added extra security for rude shoppers. How sad!

Liz

heck I'm just 18 and I hate goin out shopping at this time. I hate Wally world more than any of them. I went to Advance Auto to get my brother some tools to keep in his truck and it was bliss. Calm and quite with a nice and guy at the register. I also bought some new sidemarkers to replace my busted up ones. Had to take my fender apart to install one of them.

Lowes wasn't bad either but we ended up not getting anything. Sears was OK too. Me and my dad got some crap for my mom there. What sucked though was when my Mom and I went to good ole Wally World a few days ago to get my dad a DVD box set. Crap you couldn't swing dead cat in there without hittin somebody it was so dang crowded. Man that's how you can tell when you live in a red neck town with a sucky mall when Wal-Mart has more people in it than the mall.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I know I'm really getting into the holiday, shopping spirit when I find myself gritting my teeth, muttering under my breath looking for parking spaces downtown. My Christmas shopping is done.............heh..........I hate shopping.

Merry Christmas!!!! :D

I still need to shop for like 2 or 3 more people.

One's a girl at work though. She gave me 2 CD's and though she said I didn't have to get her anything, it just feels wrong for her to give me something and me not give anything back.

Another is my manager. He gave me a T-Shirt so I'm gonna find one for him.

The other is my best friend which I thought of the perfect gift too late. So now I wanna find something in town he might like.

Yeah, shopping is not a pleasant prospect.

I had to go to the bank yesterday and the main branch is located (albeit in a seperate building , the one saving grace) in a major mall. Lines a quarter mile long at each entrance waiting for lights to change to let you turn in. AARRRggggHHHH

Then I have had this miserable headache (no spleen and my blood pressure jumps at the slightest infection and gives me a migraine) and the OL says I am being cranky ( I guess she keeps forgetting that I say I feel sick and miserable).

Monday, I was hoping to make this a simple and early week.

I had noticed that when I was outside when I got home that it sounded like the OL had the kitchen door open. I never gave it a second thought until I noticed on Monday morning that the glass in the kitchen window (hidden by blinds and curtains her mother gave her from the inside) was cracked and one half had fallen out of the window and was leaning against the screen.

Of course once you delay going in to work to replace a window, you open a can of worms. With the screen pulled and glass out, time to clean up all the caulking top and bottom; then of course since you are at it, time to find the matching can of paint and paint it all while you are at it. And by the time I finished she had a list of things she wanted me to get or do on the way home.

On my way home she kept paging me , and when I returned the call she spewed off a new list (milk,pudding, cocoa mix ...Tomato paste ...) for me to get. I finally get home, pounding headache and all and she asks if I remembered to get bread (Hell no , she never mentioned bread . Why would I get bread? We were having Italian sausage, pasta , and salads for dinner?)

So I grumble and go back out to get bread and she says I am being cranky.

... I am being cranky.
Me too (for many of the same reasons), and I go back to work tonight after a five day haitus. Not lookin' forward to that. Plus I volunteered to switch with someone so I'll be working the overnight shifts X-mas eve and X-mas day. Why? Oh WHY?!? I guess she caught me when I wasn't at my crankiest. I pity the next fool who asks me to switch ... :lol:

Oh: And the weather ... it's still raining, pouring in fact. Thunderstorms. "A veil of tears for the virgin birth."

Guess most people are grateful we didn't get it all as snow like out West. Still, good weather for crabby people.

Edited by JDoors

Pete, your shopping story made me laugh and laugh! Can't tell you how many times THIS OL has done the same thing......I'm sure it's because Hubby has selective hearing therefore it's his fault :D

But Bless your Heart for grocery shopping! Hubby only does that when I'm out of town

Liz

Well, I did have some X-mas shopping that had to be done a couple of days ago. I couldn't find what I wanted, and I even went to <drumroll> ... THE MALL! <piercing scream!>. So I wound up buying myself some presents instead. :thumbsup:

Work ... Boy, it's like they WANT me to be cranky! The first coworker I talked to couldn't WAIT to tell me how much money they made the day I had given away -- A record, in fact. As much in one day as we often make in an entire week! And I gave that day away ... :angry2:

In exchange I'm working Christmas night, which will be dead, and tips will suck. :(

I come back from a ten minute break and a customer's screaming how he's been waiting for a half hour. "No, it hasn't been a half hour." (In my head: "Shut up J, don't say anything, be nice, he's a customer ... ") He practically screams, "It's been a half hour!" "Look, I'm not going to call you a liar right to your face, but YOU. ARE. WRONG." (Inside my head: "Holy crap! Shut up already J! You're gonna get in trouble!"). I solved his problem and tried to make nicey-nice for the rest of his visit, but I suspect I won't be seeing him again anytime soon. :unsure:

Thank goodness a coworker and I get along well and we managed to brighten each other's day enough to get through (then she gave me a present ... AWWWW! :wub: ).

Say! What with all the news about anti-depressants being bad for you ... Are there any safe ones left? :lol:

Say! What with all the news about anti-depressants being bad for you ... Are there any safe ones left? :lol:

Six fingers of Jack Daniels with more Jack on the side. :D

You'd be surprised how much easier the shopping ordeal becomes after that too...lol

About 5-10 years ago, I used to hit the bar right near the entrance of the mall and down a six pack and a few shots, head on in to a delightful shopping experience....and for some strange reason, people would keep their distance. :lol:

Since I don't really drink anymore, I seem to find myself procrastinating the whole shopping thing...BTW, I started my shopping this morning. :blink:

Count me in on the cranky side of life!!!

This scratchy throat/very little voice/headache bug is just bad enough that I don't want to do anything!!!

Procrastinated on doing my Christmas cards, so maaaaybe will sit down this week adn do them? Better late than never I guess....and you sure find out who only sends you a card because you sent them one when you wait this long to send any. Guess I can cut my list waaaay back!!! Good!!! Saves stamps that way!!! And I could wait until summer and then send out the late cards and count them for both this year and next??? Sounds like a plan to me!!!

Did go to a couple of malls a couple of weeks ago, ugh!!! I hate malls anyhow, and only went because I like to see the Christmas decorations...and one had such a poor excuse of displays that they should have had signs up apologizing for it. The other mall was better, and I loved watching the kids sitting on Santa's lap to have pictures taken. Funny how society tells kids don't be over friendly with strangers, don't let strangers touch or hug you and of course that would include not sitting on his lap! And never take candy from strangers (except at Halloween). So Grandma wants a picture of Suzy and Timmy, so put them in special Christmas clothes, take them to the mall, stand in line for Santa, then tell them to sit on Santa's lap, let him hold you tight, and smile for camera, oh don't forget to take the candy cane he hands you either. So is it any wonder the kids cry and scream and fight? What a world of contradictions we live in But it is funny to watch them play it all out for a crummy overpriced picture. I love to watch to see if the kids will actually sit still nicely and smile for the camera, or not, and to see how much patience any of the key players have if a kid objects wholeheartedly to the whole thing.

We aren't buying presents this year due to hubby's layoff. Now repairs are another subject. Seems like there is always something falling apart around here. Ended up at Lowes the other day, fairly new store in our neck of the woods, so friendly and helpful when they first opened. How things change!!! And it appears that the customers voted them out for the change in attitude which we have noticed the last few trips there. We only saw two other customers that day, and one of them was mad as a hornet for their misinformation the previous trip that an item he ordered would be in on the date they said and had just found out not until sometime in Jan. He yelled over his shoulder as he left..."cancel the order!!! I'll go over to Home Depot or Sears". So we found what we wanted, then hiked up to the line of cash registers...only one with a clerk actually ringing things up but several do-it-yourself chekcout lanes with clerks standing at each to supervise the no customers. One customer was ahead of us with a scad of stuff, but would one of the non busy clerks open another register...no way! And no one said a word to us (and didn't hear them say anything ot person ahead of us either). Just took our card and bagged stuff and we left. Good heavens, even Sears, who is known for uncaring help, is friendlier than that. Seemed so rude of them to not even answer us wishing them a Merry Christmas. Oh well their loss.

From one cranky person to another, Merry Christmas folks.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

edit! *Oh gosh, I just noticed after posting this that I'm posting under Buckwheat....Aron must have logged in here and I didn't notice--oh well, this is Liz*

LOL, Pat....you were a wee bit cranky, weren't you? :D That's perfectly OK, by the way! *bighug* I got a big grin from reading your post and thought "sisters in arms"! I should have posted about my day yesterday, but I was TOO cranky and tired! Ton of stuff to do and Hubby sat on the couch all day and never even offered to ask to help (noooo, I won't ask him, he's supposed to notice such things, right?) And today, when I only had a fraction of the things-to-do, what did he do? Asked if I needed help and cooked supper....wonder if he figured out I was mad at him? :D

I agree with the kids and Santa.....luckily (?) my kids ran up to him with open arms and leaped on his lap with hugs. But I'm a "bad momma" I guess. I've always told them to trust strangers when they're in trouble as 99% of strangers will help a child. Came in handy when Son got lost and knocked on a stranger's door for directions home, she gave him a ride!

And if a kid is shy, it's not their fault and they should NEVER be forced to sit on Santa's lap! Every good Santa knows that, shame that the parents don't!

Write "Happy New Year" on your cards and you'll be OK! :thumbsup:

Oh, Merry Christmas to everyone!

Liz

Edited by buckwheat88

Hugs to you too my friend and good night.

Hubby has been nagging me for an hour to quit and go to bed... "yeah honey just as soon as I catch up here"...then he growls, then I growl, then we laugh albeit a bit hoarsely!!! :rolleyes: Serves us right too!!! :rolleyes: Ha!!!

Good night all.

Happy Birthday Jesus!!!

Pat

God bless everyone