More Earthlink Software Woes

This time I'll spare you the actual details of the "do this-es" and "do thats" (over three hours with "live help" yesterday and the problem was still not resolved).

The Earthlink Toolbar had an update. The toolbar has the popup blocker, cookie management, scam analyzer and other handy protection tools. An update? You bet!

I wasn't able to get IE to run until today when I manually went through the registry and files removing all traces of the software. You can't turn the toolbar "off" except via the toolbar itself, the toolbar does not show unless IE is running, but IE won't run if the toolbar is "on." :huh:

Random notes:

Names like SandraR and RitchieS are not fooling anyone when their English is so twisted (e.g. please be to turn toolbar off and reboot). It's insulting to me that they use aliases, though I can understand from their point of view that some people might be (and probably are) ignorant and rude to someone named, say, Radthaharthika. But for me, it just smacks of being deceptive ("Look! We want you to believe we are using Americans. See? They have American names!" I'm reminded of a different company's help line who answered their phone, "You have reached our Arizona help desk." They wanted you to KNOW they were in the U.S.A. -- for real).

Some technicians are better than others in patience, abilities, and "bed-side manner" (I had to talk to someone different after each reboot).

None seem too bright, or they may be overworked (sometimes the delay was SO long I thought maybe they might be helping several people at one time). They say, "do this." I'd reply, it does not work. After a long delay they'd say, "Tell me when you have finished." Uh, I already said it didn't work. Where were you? I can still see my words there in the message window; It. Did. Not. Work.

Their remote desktop software must be new to them, none even hinted that I'd have to tell my firewall to allow the connection, and some seemed impatient when I had to take the time to "allow" it ("Sorry, the remote software does not work, we will do this another way," Um, lady, I'm still in the process of opening my firewall to allow the connection ... Sheesh).

The last guy started the remote software, said, "It's fixed, reboot." Uh, OK ... I didn't see you DO anything, but fine, after three hours I'll take the shot that you know something nobody else knows. I rebooted. When Windows started several DOS boxes opened and closed (hey, he actually DID do something!). And the problem was still there. I went to bed.

I like their software (and it's included in the price of access) but have to take three hours (or once, two days) to get things running after maybe every third or fourth update. How much is my time worth?

It's partly my fault since I refuse to update from Windows '9x, so they're probably not keen on spending much time coding for an older OS.

I betcha I know where they do the coding though, and that probably contributes to the problem too.

[/rant]

Good Grief, JDoors! Now I didn't understand most of what you wrote (*whooshhhh* it went right over my nontechie head) but I sure understood about the Americanised names :D During "wait times" I like to mess with them and ask them about the weather in "Arizona". They're pretty helpless there--they start stuttering and change the subject to MY weather! :D

Liz

I run WIN98SE... but I refuse to update my Earthlink software anymore... basically because it has crashed my system nearly every time I've tried and/or the update aborts. I've lived with a "Task Panel" bug for quite a while after one update (the last update I remember working a long time ago). The bug comes and goes so I just deal with it. I've re-installed with newer Earthlink disks a few times, and my few calls to Customer service were courteous but unfruitful. I'll continue to limp along until I can justify an upgrade to XP* (monetarily wise), or buy a new box (hey, I can dream). * Hopefully my bug doesn't exist in XP.

I like their software (and it's included in the price of access) but have to take three hours (or once, two days) to get things running after maybe every third or fourth update. How much is my time worth?

For the most part I too like their product... I've kept with them since I bought this old box. As long as my connections stay regular I'll prolly stay with them. It would be nice if we could charge back for our time when a bug needs to be attended to though. :thumbsup:

I betcha I know where they do the coding though, and that probably contributes to the problem too.
It's partly my fault since I refuse to update from Windows '9x, so they're probably not keen on spending much time coding for an older OS.

Maybe they should open source the critter for older OS's. :P

Did you consider trying Hijackthis to remove the 02 and 03 entries from the toolbar to prevent it from running when IE was launched? It may have been simpler that way.
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I HAD MY PROBLEM!!! :lol:

I kept trying to think of a way to disable the toolbar from outside IE, I tried various things (all the different options dialogs in the Earthlink software -- why oh why can't they have ONE option page? -- IE tools, etc.), but didn't think about HJT. :huh:

Dangit. :lol:

I run WIN98SE... but I refuse to update my Earthlink software anymore... basically because it has crashed my system nearly every time I've tried and/or the update aborts. I've lived with a "Task Panel" bug for quite a while after one update (the last update I remember working a long time ago). The bug comes and goes so I just deal with it. I've re-installed with newer Earthlink disks a few times, and my few calls to Customer service were courteous but unfruitful. I'll continue to limp along until I can justify an upgrade to XP* (monetarily wise), or buy a new box (hey, I can dream). ...
I guess we're in the same boat. I saved the last Earthlink CD they randomly mailed out JUST for the purpose of reinstalls when their updates fail. How sad is that?

I'm eventually gonna give up Earthlink. That sucks since I've had the same e-mail address for freakin' ages, but I've had it with their poor programming. I'm considering another ISP and upgrading my firewall/antivirus to a full-boat protection package (yeah, I could use free stuff, but I've not been entirely satisfied with that stuff either -- my first firewall was ... what was it called? TinyFirewall or something? It trashed my entire file structure but what can you do? It was free so how can I complain, or rather, who would I complain to? Who would fix the problem if I couldn't? At least the paid-for stuff has an obligation and an incentive to keep you from giving up -- not that you can tell from Earthlink's example ;) ).

Just one more reason I run only IE6 (w/all updates and security programs in place, and keep them current)....and use a small, local ISP. It's $20/month, but whenever I've had to call them, within minutes I'm talking to a live technician, and they've always been very patient as they talked me through the problem. A couple of times they weren't available right then, but called me back in less than an hour. For me, I'll stick with the locals.....maybe a bit high during the year, but when I need them, they're there.....and I know they're not in Bangladesh, or the Philippines, or wherever :P

I gave up on earthlink several years ago, found tha Juno/ Netzero was much better for my dial up service. only quit them because I got cable. Still have my juno email addy, in fact Ihad my earthlink e mail for 2 years after I quit using them, so you may not have to give it up to change isp.