I'm having a problem with this. I get the error message "Your system has no paging file or the paging file is too small" Then it tells me how to "fix" it. I did what it said, but it doesn't help. I still get the error message every time I start up the computer.

I went here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270 , but when I get down to step 4, I have no security tab. There are General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing and Quota tabs, but no Security.

Any ideas how to fix this paging file problem?

XP Pro or Home? Are you using NTFS or FAT32? How much memory does your system have? How much free space is left on the hard drive? What is your page file settings?

Home

NTFS

512 MB

13.4 GB

Not sure what you needed here, but here is what it says:

Space available: 13738 MB

Custom size is ticked

Initial size (MB): 765

Maximum size (MB): 1500

Total paging file size for all drives

Minimum allowed 2 MB

Recommended 765 MB

Currently allocated 0 MB

Hope that helps.

Renee

You mentioned 5 minute bootup on another thread. If it was an option, I would recommend reloading your windows installation, that would make your computer run like new. If that is not an option, somebody may be able to help you fix this problem.

If the problem doesn't resolve after changing the settings and rebooting the PC change the initial page file size to 256MB and leave the maximum at 1536MB.

Are you by chance using Norton's System Works? That crappy utility can cause this issue and my suggestion is to rid your PC of it.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
In home "security" is only accessible in safe mode ( may have to be logged in with user name Administrator , definitely as an admin)

Ah-ha...(duh moment) I actually didn't know this, but thank you!

I think I did reload my windows installation...course, my not being totally knowledgable on such things, I could be mistaken. I booted from the windows disk, and reloaded it...That's one of the first things I did when I started having problems from the malware I had.

I did reboot after changing, yes. And, no I don't use anything Norton's.

I will try changing the paging file in safe mode and see if that helps. Thanks again!

Renee

A clean install of XP should have fixed the problem. Do you know if you used restore disks or did you use a regular windows xp install disk to do the reinstall?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply...with the holidays coming up AND my being sick as a dog....anyway, the disk I used says this on it: "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1" Hope that helps. It had gotten to the point that using that disk was the only way I could even boot up the computer, so I actually used it a few times.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply...with the holidays coming up AND my being sick as a dog....anyway, the disk I used says this on it: "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1" Hope that helps. It had gotten to the point that using that disk was the only way I could even boot up the computer, so I actually used it a few times.

My hunch is you have been doing a repair install. If a repair install has not helped your problem, you need to do a clean install. Doing a clean install is a little more involved. It will require you to reinstall all of your programs and drivers. The drivers may or may not be difficult for you to do(they sometimes can be tricky, and I even do it for a living). Doing a clean install will delete all of your data, you will need to backup your files to another place other then your hardrive before your can proceed.

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/we...A256EA80038C9A7

Yes, I believe it probably was a repair install.

I'm having quite another issue now...last time I was online, my computer was downloading updates that is does automatically. It was SP2 that it was downloading...anyway, I had to reboot of course when it was done, so I restarted the computer and now it acts like a broken record...the screen shows the "Dell" screen, then the screen it shows when it's loading windows and then it tries to restart again....over and over. What the heck have I done NOW? I'm having to use my laptop now...

I have had to do a total reload of windows before and Dell tech support had to walk me through it since it was a little more involved than windows 98. I've reformatted an old computer of mine with 98 on it several times. It's no problem, but I'm not sure I can do this one again. I'm soooo ready to throw this thing out the back door. *sigh*

Renee

Edited by RescueRenee

only thing is now is that I can't do any back up if I can't get on the computer at all...although I *think* I've got everything important backed up onto the external hard drive. At least I hope so. I'm reading the link you gave me before and maybe I'll get up the nerve....otherwise, wanna come do it for me? :P

Renee

You mentioned having a dell. Do you still have the driver disc available to you? You will want(need) your drivers before you start. At least you need your nic(ethernet) driver. Depending on the model of your dell, without that, you may not have any way of getting online.

If you go to this site, and enter your service tag(it is located on the outside of your machine), you will get a list of all of your available drivers. The real important ones are these: chipset, networkcard(nic) and video adapter. If you are unsure on which drivers you need, multiple ones are listed, just ask, somebody here will be able to help. The original driver disk that came with the computer would have exactly everything you need.

Edited by shanenin