Using Ports- Freebsd 6.1 (n00b Question)

Hi,

I've updated portsnap with the following commands

#portsnap fetch

#portsnap extract

Could someone please point me in the right direction on how to use ports to install programs?

I'd like to install CUPS and Thunderbird.

I remembered the above commands from my last BSD install (Carnevil helped a lot). :D

Thank you.

hitest :D

the way i do it, is

cd /usr/ports

then the relivant folders

when in the program folder you want to install,

make && make install

Then follow the instructions.

The ports snap if im correct, updates the ports tree which is a good idea before going into /usr/ports and installing any application.

Pierce

the way i do it, is

cd /usr/ports

then the relivant folders

when in the program folder you want to install,

make && make install

Then follow the instructions.

The ports snap if im correct, updates the ports tree which is a good idea before going into /usr/ports and installing any application.

Pierce

Thanks, Pierce:-)

When you are finished, make sure you do make clean. I think you can do make clean in the /usr/ports directory to clean out all of your files down the tree left over from compiling. I tried to build gnome from scratch and had many gbs left over from compiling, in fact I ran my system out of space.

When you are finished, make sure you do make clean. I think you can do make clean in the /usr/ports directory to clean out all of your files down the tree left over from compiling. I tried to build gnome from scratch and had many gbs left over from compiling, in fact I ran my system out of space.

Thanks for the tip, shanenin. I did the same thing on my system. I'll remember make clean next time:-)

#cd /usr/ports/mail/thunderbird

#make install clean

or if you want to use packages

#pkg_add -r thunderbird

#cd /usr/ports/printing/cups

#make install clean

it also has a package.

#pkg_add -r cups

Here's a great website for looking up ports. http://www.freshports.org/

Using make install clean will install the program as well as clean up what's left over.

One other thing I forgot to add is you should install portupgrade before anything else. This will give you access to two things that are needed after you update your ports tree. portsdb and pkgdb It'll also give you the portupgrade tool for upgrading your ports.

#cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

#make install clean

Also remember you only need to run portsnap fetch and portsnap extract the first time you update your ports tree. After that you only need to run the command portsnap fetch update. I usually run portsnap fetch update every few days.

Here's the commands I use for updating the ports tree.

#portsnap fetch update

after that is done

#portsdb -u this will up date your ports database

#pkgdb -F this will check for any problems in the package database.

Here's a pretty decent article on portupgrade http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28...ics.html?page=1 The only problem with the article is it talks about using cvsup instead of portsnap.

Edited by Carnevil