Stop Error When Installing Ati Catalyst Control Center

Hi,

I tried to uninstall the version of ATI video card drivers I had installed and the Catalyst Control Center (I believe it was version 6-8) so I could install the newest update (6-11). I used the cat-uninstaller.exe that ATI used to provide on their site. However, there was a problem when it tried to uninstall the Catalyst Control Center. It gave the following error:

ERROR 1905: Module C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\atiamaxx.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472

I checked my Add or Remove Programs list and noted that the Control Center was no longer there. I proceeded to install the new ATI drivers along with the new Control Center. However, when it comes to installing the Control Center, I get a BSOD and the following stop error:

STOP 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8A4C14D8, 0x8A4C164C, 0x80604450)

The drivers were successfully installed, but not the Control Center.

Here are my computer specs.:

Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates)

Abit IC7-G

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Aspire 500W Power Supply

Maxtor 160GB IDE HDD

2x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400

There hasn't been any new hardware addition in the last 6 months.

I appreciate any help.

Hi,

I tried to uninstall the version of ATI video card drivers I had installed and the Catalyst Control Center (I believe it was version 6-8) so I could install the newest update (6-11). I used the cat-uninstaller.exe that ATI used to provide on their site. However, there was a problem when it tried to uninstall the Catalyst Control Center. It gave the following error:

ERROR 1905: Module C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\atiamaxx.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472

I checked my Add or Remove Programs list and noted that the Control Center was no longer there. I proceeded to install the new ATI drivers along with the new Control Center. However, when it comes to installing the Control Center, I get a BSOD and the following stop error:

STOP 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8A4C14D8, 0x8A4C164C, 0x80604450)

The drivers were successfully installed, but not the Control Center.

Here are my computer specs.:

Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates)

Abit IC7-G

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Aspire 500W Power Supply

Maxtor 160GB IDE HDD

2x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400

There hasn't been any new hardware addition in the last 6 months.

I appreciate any help.

Go here to find out what the Stop error is. http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Thank you Lefty for your response. Apparently an 0x000000F4 means a crucial thread or process was stopped, therefore the computer crashed. It says there are many specific causes, and it best resolved with a thorough history of the problem. I only get the Stop message when I try to install the Catalyst Control center after an error occurred while trying to uninstall an older version. The drivers were successfully updated.

Thank you Lefty for your response. Apparently an 0x000000F4 means a crucial thread or process was stopped, therefore the computer crashed. It says there are many specific causes, and it best resolved with a thorough history of the problem. I only get the Stop message when I try to install the Catalyst Control center after an error occurred while trying to uninstall an older version. The drivers were successfully updated.

Have you tried to install the old version? Try that and if it does install then install the new version without trying to uninstall the old version. Some programs install over the top of their older versions without a problem. They then just replce the old version and you end up with just one.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I noticed that playing videos became buggy after installing the drivers, so I decided to reformat. I probably should have tried to install the old version first to see if that helped. I tried to install the Catalyst Control Center under safe mode, but it needs the Windows Installer Service (I think that was what it was called) to be running, which can't be run in safe mode. Although it was a bit of overkill, I like my running programs with that "New Computer" smell.

Thanks again for your help.

Dang I'm late on this....

My response was to reinstall old version, if no problem the try installing over the old version.

Will you have better performance with new vs old? Some times it is not worth the hassle to upgrade drivers/firmware.

M

Dang I'm late on this....

My response was to reinstall old version, if no problem the try installing over the old version.

Will you have better performance with new vs old? Some times it is not worth the hassle to upgrade drivers/firmware.

M

Hi Mike,

Don't worry about being late. I just read the Release Notes for the driver, and it seems it won't help me in any particular way. Oh well.