I have an extra mother board and proc. I want ot use this system to test parts. I currently have it running on some foam/plastic material that the mobo originally came delivered with. Do you think I am going to fry it from a static discharge if I have it setting directly on it. It is running as we speak. If I fry it, it is not a big deal.

015ft3.jpg

**shrugs** You're the computer expert. That would make sence, however.

I know more then most everyday people(non-geeks), but compared to you guys(fellow geeks), I don't know much more(or less then many). Luckily most of my clients just need me to reload windows of setup their router :-)

Edited by shanenin

There shouldn't be a problem. I usually place a static bag that the mobo came in under it on top of the foam. I have never grounded the test board. I plan on installing a mobo setup on a sheet of peg board on the wall that my test bench is against to use for testing components.

I was also thinking about mounting it vertically. Have you put much thought into the way you want to attach it? If you put a thin piece of aluminum on top of the board, you could probably just drill very small holes, then screw in standoffs. That just gave me an idea, take out the old plate from a junk case, that way your holes are already drilled and threaded perfectly.

I agree with the Terroist about placing the plastic on top of the foam. While the foam might be made from insulated material, it is porous(sp). I use some surgical rubber matting I got from somewhere. Perhaps a plastic or rubber placemat would work

Mark

I was also thinking about mounting it vertically. Have you put much thought into the way you want to attach it? If you put a thin piece of aluminum on top of the board, you could probably just drill very small holes, then screw in standoffs. That just gave me an idea, take out the old plate from a junk case, that way your holes are already drilled and threaded perfectly.

I planned on laying out the holes then insert long thin machine screws through the back side. I would run one down to hold the screw in place then use two nuts (either side of board) to hold the board in place. I would also attach some L brackets to hold a power supply and different drives.

I agree with the Terroist about placing the plastic on top of the foam. While the foam might be made from insulated material, it is porous(sp). I use some surgical rubber matting I got from somewhere. Perhaps a plastic or rubber placemat would work

Mark

The foam is usually made of a reasonably conductive material. It prevents the build-up of localized charge on the board.

Stand-offs are a better solution. Connecting them all to ground is not required (or clear acrylic cases would be fairly useless), but is preferable. Better grounding is better.

For vertical mounting, yes, pulling the motherboard tray from a case seems like an easy and effective solution.

Edited by Aluvus
I assume you mean non-conductive. If I'm working on something electrical and need to be isolated from ground I don't think I'd stand on foam packing material, but that's just me

Mark

No, most foams used for ESD prevention are conductive. They still have a relatively high resistance, but they are conductive.

• 1 month later...

I planned on laying out the holes then insert long thin machine screws through the back side. I would run one down to hold the screw in place then use two nuts (either side of board) to hold the board in place. I would also attach some L brackets to hold a power supply and different drives.

I remembered this post from awhile back. Check out Navig's project

Mark

First one

second one