Updated! Those With Avg Read This.

Hey TT_75...your link returns an error...thought it might because I wasn't logged in at BC but happens even when logged in. Went looking for what you might be talking about and couldn't find it....lol

re-link?

His posting at G4 nets the same results. See here along with Pete's comments.

AVG was falsely reporting a trojan (Flooder.Ake) then deleting a critical system file thereby causing your PC to keep rebooting. It was stated not to allow AVG to remove this "trojan". Some people had to do a repair install because of this. There were a couple of files to rename temporarily to stop AVG from detecting the "trojan" until a newer update for AVG straightened this out.

An old friend from TechTV TeMerc is looking into it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Found it posted at Grisoft's AVG forum.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...7,backpage=,sv=

flooder.AKE

Posted by: kid_canuk (IP Logged)

Date: December 7, 2006 08:08PM

Hi,

I was searching the forum to see if there was any news on this virus. It started Dec. 6th,2007. I know a person who got it and had to reinstall windows. If you want more info just google flooder.ake and you will find the info on it.

Re: flooder.AKE

Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)

Date: December 7, 2006 08:21PM

Please pay attention to where you are posting and make it fit the subject of the forum area you are in. Moved to the virus forum area.

Quoting Radek Janata - Grisoft Team

Unfortunately, this issue is caused by the false detection on particular version of "winlogon.exe" file. The false detection has been immediately fixed, however several users may have updated their AVG to this virus update containing this false definition. In order to solve this unpleasant issue, please proceed as follows:

1. Boot your computer to Safe mode. Power on (or restart) your computer, keep pressing F8 key until the Startup menu appears and choose "Windows in Safe Mode".

2. In the Windows Safe mode, navigate to following folder:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\

3. Rename rename the following files to avoid furhter deleting of "winlogon.exe".

AVGCLEAN.SYS -> AVGCLEAN.SY_

AVGRSXP.SYS -> AVGRSXP.SY_

4. Launch Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and remove the "__delete" value in the right pane from this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AvgClean

5. Restart the computer back to Windows normal mode

6. Update your AVG program to latest virus base version. Launch AVG or open AVG Control Center and press F9 key to update your AVG.

7. Then rename the SYS files back to their original names

AVGCLEAN.SY_ -> AVGCLEAN.SYS

AVGRSXP.SY_ -> AVGRSXP.SYS

8. Restart your computer for to get AVG Resident shield loaded again

The problem should be solved now.

Please note that this issue may happen on a very old Windows XP systems without any Service Packs. This issue doesn't appear on Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. Therefore we strongly recommend to update your Windows XP to Service Pack 2, not only to get your computer secure. Visit [www.windowsupdate.com] to get the latest critical security patches for your operating system.

Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I was getting ready to reinstall XP (SP1) per the advice I got in my other thread, but now I'm wondering if I should hold off a bit (I can still run on 98SE for awhile if I need to). I have the newest AVG saved to a CD, but I'm not clear on just what updates they're talking about. If I run the update now (just did yesterday), before I upgrade to XP, would that take care of it? The last thing I need right now is to have to reformat and reinstall everything again. Thanks for any thoughts.....

They didn't delete the thread. They just made it invisable until it was verified by Grisoft (AVG) plus I had notified TeMerc, an old friend from techTV, who is a mod at WindowsBBS plus a HJT expert, about it and he checked into it.

mystified

The problem only affected WinXP that wasn't updated to SP2. The problem was resolved by newer AVG update and by following the steps I outlined. You shouldn't need to worry if you get SP2 installed as soon as possible after installing XP and/or update AVG.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75