Repair Xp Search (Resolved)

Hey team

Ok, about 3 weeks ago, I finally ventured into installin SP2. Well ever since, the "search" utility is crap. Whenever I try to find a file, it freezes. Never finds anything. Is there a way I can repair it? I have the Google desktop search, but that doesn't search for every type of file (in fact, its very limited). Thanks

M@

Hi flatiron__2, sorry, I tried it, with no luck. Did I do something incorrect? I found the file I needed to install, and it asked for me to locate the file in my service pack 2 cd (which I have a service pack 2 CD) but I followed the directions on the site, by inserting my XP cd, (which has SP1). I found the folder it was looking for, and I told it to copy the files from there. It did, and I guess the installation completed. I went to search, yet it still froze when I eneterd a file to find. Then I tried the routein w/ my SP2 CD, but on that I couldn't find the folder it was looking for. Any suggestions or other reccomendations?

M@

EDIT: I uninstalled SP2, and the search utility still doesn't work, so I guess it is not a SP2 problem.

hey matt, is this what you tried?

goto Start>Run>type C:\Windows\inf

look for a file called srchasst.inf

right click it and click Install

insert the XP CD when prompts

and let it complete the installtion

restart and now check ??

if same problem the boot into safemode and check for the problem there

hey Nerelda, well I found the srchasst.inf file, right clicked and selected install. It started, then said it needed to locate some files. I assumed this is where the CD came into play. I inserted the disc, chose browse: D drive, and found the folder it wanted, then clicked open. Then The progress bar completed, saying it coppied all files, so I assumed it was done. Did I miss or forget something?

M@

sounds to me like there couls possibly be some kind of program or something interfering...

Update all your scanning programs, and run the spyware, malware, virus, and trojan scans. Also, check Windows updates to see if there could be an update you might be missing.

hi matt ive read this post a dozen times.and im not sure what search.appli you are referring to is it the search appli on the start menu.

if so have you put a check mark in the search box .

by right clicking your start button -properties .check start menu -customise -

advance button .scroll to search and check it - click apply .

it happened to me and this is how i fixed it.

from microsoft support.sure it is a simple and small but may do the trick

marty

hi matt ive read this post a dozen times.and im not sure what search.appli you are referring to is it the search appli on the start menu.

if so have you put a check mark in  the search box .

by right clicking your start button  -properties .check start menu -customise -

advance button .scroll to search and check it - click apply .

it happened to me and this is how i fixed it.

from microsoft support.sure it is a simple and small but may do the trick

marty

Thanks marty, yes I was talking about that search. unfortunately, it was checked - I did uncheck and recheck it; but no go.

sounds like you've tried everything except a clean install....If something bugged me as much as this seems to bug you, I'd probably have done that a while back.

but then again it's easier (and quicker) for me to reinstall mandrake.

hi tictoc - yes, I was thinking this would be the final option. Although, this is infact the last thing I want to do. Not really big into backing up 20 gigs - nor do I think the parenets would allow it. But, if that's what it comes to - that may be what I do. But why didn't the repair install work?

EDIT: not sure if this helps, attached screen shot of what I get when I enter a search

M@

Hey Matt,

not sure if you've tried this yet...tried running search in safe mode?....I'm not even sure if search works in safe mode and don't feel like booting to windows to check :D ...but that would eliminate the possibility that something else is interfering with it and if by chance it does work, you could try to track down the PITA program

edit: and shame on you for not backing up your stuff, you should know better...you're dealing with windows for cryin' out loud!!!!!! :lol:

Hey Matt,

not sure if you've tried this yet...tried running search in safe mode?....I'm not even sure if search works in safe mode and don't feel like booting to windows to check :D ...but that would eliminate the possibility that something else is interfering with it and if by chance it does work, you could try to track down the PITA program

edit: and shame on you for not backing up your stuff, you should know better...you're dealing with windows for cryin' out loud!!!!!! :lol:

no search dosent work in safe mode.

at least the search appli on the start menu.

i couldnt find any thing in microsoft support nor in kellys- korner.

how ever ile keep looking.

marty

• 2 weeks later...