Using Hjt Or Msconfig To Stop Startups

I regularly use hjt or msconfig to stop programs from starting. Does this really cause memory leaks like I so often hear people say? Is this only a problem with pre windows 2000 machines? I kind of think this is a old wives tale. Whats your opinion?

Edited by shanenin

msconfig

was put there so the techs could tweak the compt they sold

that is the reason it was hidden

and not put in the front so all could use it

even microsoft warns any new users from going there

may be it is ok for you but if you advertise the fact it is usable new users wil

get in to trouble

i know iv been there

if you think its an old wives tale tell your wife

that and not some one who is not used to the utility

marty

I regularly use hjt or msconfig to stop programs from starting. Does this really cause memory leaks like I so often hear people say?

I can't imagine how it could.

[Edit: I should note that Windows has been known to do the unimaginable.]

Edited by jcl

I never had a problem using msconfig on Win98SE as long as I knew it was safe to stop a program after researching it. Many OEM computers install their own applications which could cause a problem if stopped using msconfig. One should check to see if the program can be stopped within itself first before resorting to using msconfig or another startup program.

Well I don't think it's the starting and stopping of programs that you should be concerned with.

there are are lot of variables in msconfig, some that can be changed, some that can be moved, and some that can be deleted altogether.

I don't know diddly squat about XP but on older operating systems changing some of that stuff could potentially crash your system (or cause memory leaks)

I have used msconfig to change my autoexec.bat, sys.ini. or win.ini but still much simpiler in notepad.

personally it doesn't worry me to modify some of that junk but I find mike lin's control panel so much simplier for stopping or starting programs.

as most people now use XP all I can say is follow your heart. y'all have a good day now.

sincerely,

ME fan

Never use MSConfig to disable startup programs no matter what others have recommended. MSConfig is for troubleshooting purposes only. If you use it to disable startups and then run the program, you may cause what is known as a memory leak which does all sorts of strange things to your system.

This quote above is from this link on besttechie

Edited by shanenin

Poorly written programs cause memory leaks. Using msconfig isn't gong to cause catastrophic failures.

What are system resources, and why do I run out of them?

In many cases, an "out of memory" message is misleading, since your whole system really did not run out of memory. Instead, certain areas of memory (Microsoft calls "heaps") used by Windows have run low on space.

Windows maintains an area of memory for operating system resources. The maximum size of this area is 128K, in two 64K areas. Windows 95/98 uses this area of memory to store fonts, bitmaps, drop-down menu lists and other on-screen information used by each application.

When any program begins running, it uses up some space in the "system resources" area in memory. But, as you exit, some programs do not give back system resources they were temporarily using. Eventually the system will crash as it runs out of memory. The crash happens sometimes if you start and close many programs, even the same ones, without a periodic reboot. This is what Microsoft calls a resource leak or memory leak.

When you tell your system to exit a program, the program is supposed to give back the resources (memory) it was using. But, because programs are written by humans, mistakes can happen and the program may not give back all to the operating system. This failing to "give back" is the "memory leak," eventually leading to a message that your computer is low on resources. Memory leaks can also be caused by programs that automatically load every time you boot your Windows system. In Windows 95/98 you can see the list of active programs via the usual Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence. The Windows Startup folder contains programs that launch every time your system boots. In Windows 98, set the folder contents with MSCONFIG. In Windows 95, click the right mouse button on the Task Bar, click Properties, click Start Menu Programs, click Advanced and look for the Startup folder in the left pane.

The system resources problem is something you might have to live with until the misbehaving application is found. If you are sure a certain application is causing the problem, be sure to contact the software vendor.

You can keep track of your system resources via the handy tool at Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Resource Meter. If you do not have a copy, you can download it at UtilMind Solutions. The resource meter adds the "fuel gauge" to your Windows task bar, to help you keep track of your system's resources. As the bar graph gauge turns from green to yellow, then the dreaded red, you know you have a problem! But you need to remember that the resource meter also consumes what you are trying to conserve: system resources.

The best preventive maintenance is to periodically reboot your Windows system.

No conspiracy, no need to buy memory, unless you only have 4M of RAM. Buying memory does not fix the "system resources" problem, because its size is fixed at 128K, no matter how much physical memory is installed.

This subject has been hotly debated for years. Both sides making good points. Pete, Rema, and Preston were always dead set against it. I do trust their opinions. Besides, programs like Mike Lins or codestuff are small and free so why not use them.

Mark

I remember a MicroSoft Knowledge Base article that clearly stated MSCONFIG was for troubleshooting purposes only and once the problem program is found you must reinstate it using MSCONFIG then remove the program using the correct method. If I recall it has to do with the fact that Microsoft cannot guarantee that MSCONFIG will know how to remove all traces of a program, just what's listed in conformance to Windows' standards. And we all know how well programmers stick to Windows' standards, don't we? So you may wind up with bits 'n' pieces left behind that could cause problems, including memory leaks.

And no, I don't have the link. :(

Edited by JDoors

Sigh. I hate this thread.

Memory leak is computer science jargon that should never have been permitted to enter common usage. The majority of people who use the term are using it incorrectly. It is possible that msconfig can cause memory leaks to manifest but it's more likely that it produces other breakage that's misinterpreted as memory leakage.

Edited by jcl

Obsessive compulsive much? :P

I have an open mind as far as words go, as long as people get the idea I don't expect everyone to strictly adhere to some technical jargon.

Like (this may set you off, I dunno): Hacker. Yeah, there's a particular definition, but if you say hacker to the general public they have enough of an idea of what it means to accomplish whatever it was you wanted to convey.

Now, people who don't use their turn signals ... THAT sets me off! :lol:

Obsessive compulsive much? :P

That's why I hate the thread. In order to explain my first post I had to explain that I was using a specific definition of memory leak but the best I could come up with was a stern lecture. I really don't like doing that here.

I have an open mind as far as words go, as long as people get the idea I don't expect everyone to strictly adhere to some technical jargon.

Let's set aside correctness. The problem is that memory leak is ambiguous. shanenin asked a straightforward question and got two conflicting answers and two variations on one of those answers. That's a Bad Thing.

Like (this may set you off, I dunno): Hacker.

It might set me off but not in the direction you'd think.

Edited by jcl

as the OP, i was referring to this definition

In computer science, a memory leak is a particular kind of unintentional memory consumption by a computer program where the program fails to release memory when no longer needed. The term is meant as a humorous misnomer, since memory is not physically lost from the computer. Rather, memory is allocated to a program, and that program subsequently loses the ability to access it due to program logic flaws.

With that said, I am also interested if msconfig, or using hjt to delete startup entries can causue memory to be wasted in other less obvious ways, not necessarily "memory leaks"(wiki definition)

Does this really cause memory leaks like I so often hear people say?

Well, if people are using the term in an ambiguous way, then the answer could be yes. No?

I betcha "people" were using it in a generic sense.

I only used the hacker example because that one does set some people off; "a hacker is a so-and-so, you mean a CRACKER (or whatever)!" Sometimes they get pretty darn riled about it, too. ;)

as the OP, i was referring to this definition

In that case, no, it definitely can't. It could cause a memory leak to manifest or worsen but the bug would present regardless of what you did.

I remember the thread and the MS article JDoors mentioned. It was back in the old TTV days and if I remember correctly it was PeteC who posted the link to MS. I doubt if it's still archived, though

Mark

the reason pete chappy rema preston was aginst it was

many came on the board

and recommended to use msconfig

for certain purposes

they contended if you used it successfully

not so well informed users didnt

and got into to trouble

and guess where they turned for help

yes the board

i remember many boards were flooded with msconfig

troubles just on the say so of a few

so if you use it ok

but dont recommend it to new users

the board is the one thats has to pick up the tab

not all is adept as some of you

marty

Now, I don't want to fan the flames. But here is Pete's post I saved from the ole TTV days. It makes sense to me.

So since use of programs after they have been unchecked in msconfig has been documented to cause problems with windows memory managment because msconfig only alters one of several registry keys and has no effect on the entry point in the program itself or the memory management entry in windows, My suggestion is not to use it.

Microsoft does indeed warn that you should not use a program whose entry in msconfig has been unchecked until you return the check and restart the computer. Personally, I prefer to manage program startup the way that the software's author intended. If he specifically included startup options in the programs preferences, this means he intended for them to be used and that he went to the extra effort of correcting program entry points and memory management entries specifically to ensure proper operation. If they were omitted, then in all likelyhood there is minimal risk, but I still prefer to be safe and use a proper startup manager such as codestuff starter which can identify dependencies and manage them as well. Why would you want to load a bunch of stuff to prefetch and activate a bunch of dlls if you are not going to run the program? If you uncheck the startup in msconfig , all it does is not start the program it does not correct anything else.

All the other entries in the registry which the program has placed there to load dlls etc are still there.

heh heh I remember about a year ago a thread on this subject went on for about 2 weeks.

sure caused a lot of hard feeling among the posters there.

I should mention that was over at that other forum...GGGGGG444444444444

bozodog I couldn't have said that better myself.

Edited by bearskin
heh heh I remember about a year ago a thread on this subject went on for about 2 weeks.

sure caused a lot of hard feeling among the posters there.

bozodog I couldn't have said that better myself.

Yes, I'm hopeful this thread won't go in that direction, bearskin. :D An interesting discussion. :D

All I can say is if you're comfortable in using msconfig do so, if not leave it alone.

If a program is causing system resource issues due to it being poorly written get rid of it.

I believe during install a program should ask if you want it to be in Startup.

Many programs automatically install into Startup to make use of them "easier" for some users when they can be adjusted manually.

I heard all the arguements before, and used codestuff to stop a couple of programs without problems. Really wasn't sure about using msconfig, and in fact am still not convinced that it is totally safe. I also try to stop the program from within first, prior to using codestuff.