I have 7 computers....4 of which are on 24/7.

that is just me...I don't really know if it hurts them or not but they are still working after 3-5 years.

the only time they are down is for cleaning.

I did get a cable modem fried during a thunderstorm but didn't hurt the computer. replacement modem was free.

my advice is do what is right for you.

Electronic components are most likely to break when voltage is applied (ie turning them on) This is the most stress a system takes.

It is my advice ( am I have over 20 years electronics repair experience)

is to leave them on.

If you are worried about the power bill, use the power management and put the system into suspend. This does not power down the system, but place in to low power mode.

I have LCD monitors that also have a true sleep mode so they do not use as much power

for CRT monitors, I use the power management to have them go to sleep if they have it, and if not I turn them off as they are cheep now a days and they cost more to keep on then replacing them.

There is not much difference in the life of PC hardware between leaving them on 24/7 or turning them off when done using it. I always shut down my system when I am done using it and leave the house. I have yet to have any hardware fail since it was built 5+ years ago. I can say I have seen computers that burned up when left on 24/7 and the owner had left home while it was running. If you are going to be running your PC 24/7 make sure you use an UPS device (power spikes can kill your system) and have smoke alarms with a fire suppression system along with home owners/renters insurance.

Another thing that can occur is your CPU fan quiting while you are gone and the processor fry.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

just shut it down and save on your power bill. Yes turning the thing on and turning it off causes thermal stress which shortens the life but the average life of a computer doing wither way is longer than its usefulness. Also leaving on all the time shortens the life of your Hard drive and fans cause those bearings will go out eventually but again, average usefulness is shorter than it's life. Only reason why I leave mine on now is cause I'm constantly downloading stuff. IF I had something faster than a 640K connection I'd probably be shutting it down more. My computer isn't shutting down for at least 5 more days cause Bittorrent sucks immensely but it's the only way I can get these particular files. I'm leaving bittorrent alone after that and giving my PC a well deserved rest.

It's always been a contentious subject because, as you can see from the variety of answers, there are so many variables and areas of concern.

As for the "life" of components, I agree with HB, who cares if you extend the life of a component from eight to ten years? It's obsolete by then anyway. I hang onto things much longer than their "useful" life and having them eventually fail is the only excuse I can comfortably accept for replacing something (my entire system is seven years old and running ... C'mon! Fail already! -- as a point of information, I've left it on for months at a time AND I've turned it on and off each day, whatever I felt like doing at the time).

If power consumption is important then turning it off is the ultimate for savings, but power management does a good job too.

Agreed, it's a coin flip! :)

Now, I know XP handles housekeeping differently, but with ME as Potato has, wouldn't shutting it down clear up the RAM and put any straggling files or tennis shoes back where they belong?

I personally shut the idiot box off at night

Liz

Now, I know XP handles housekeeping differently, but with ME as Potato has, wouldn't shutting it down clear up the RAM and put any straggling files or tennis shoes back where they belong?

that is a good point. A good reboot will reclaim lost ram. Even with XP, this can be useful.

hard drives have a "life" span. on or off the life of hardware will come. I agree with the reboot once or twice a week if you will leave it on 24/7.

I look at it that the fans are always moving dust and lint, turn it off no dust and lint flowing.

And of course you have a decent surge protector or UPS.

m