Modding A Desktop To Plug Into A Cigarette Lighter

OK. I live way out on the edge of the bush. I am not connected to the power grid and I never will be. I am not going to run the generator all the time when I want to run a computer. (arg! 18 hours a day) I have cigarette lighters mounted in my house and a good enough supply of solar power to do the things I want.

I've currently got a laptop, but I tend to be (err) a little hard on things and I'm afraid that I'm going to have to get another new computer and desktops are a lot cheaper for comparable products.

So, I've this idea that since:

1. plug computer into wall

2. power supply converts AC to DC

3. computer runs on DC

you must be able to make something to just run the whole darn thing on DC from the start.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, my friend. You sure have it made being off the grid. It's funny that we transmit power via AC, (most economical) but most electronics run on DC, as you already know.

This link should help you. How Power Supplies Work

Power supplies, often referred to as "switching power supplies", use switcher technology to convert the AC input to lower DC voltages. The typical voltages supplied are:

* 3.3 volts

* 5 volts

* 12 volts

Edited by bozodog

The problem I see is the different voltages used. If the PS does the AC/DC conversion AND the stepping down and separation of 3.3-5-12 volt applications, how do you apply that to the motherboard?

Perhaps three different plugs connected to transformers of the required voltage, then wired into the proper leads on the motherboard?