Problems Creating Dvd

Although this problem has been solved, I am posting this in the hopes that it might save someone the many hours of grief I went through today.

Well, I was down to my last 400M and decided to get rid of some stuff by making a DVD. I tried several times, but Nero just hung and I had to close it down with the Task Manager.

After looking around here and elsewhere and finding nothing that "felt" right, I turned off the computer for a couple of hours. (OK, it really was only 15 minutes, but it felt like a couple of hours. :lol:)

First, I went and upgraded Nero and then I did some experimenting.

I created a multi-session disk by copying:

a) one at a time, several small directories with a few hundred files in each

B) one at a time, a few large zip files, 2 of which were more space than I had on the HD

Then, I switched the cache file to my usb hd that has lots of free space.

c) copy the big directory

Size: 1.55 G

Size on disk: 10.8 G (now that was a surprise in itself)

Contains: 328,488 Files. 52,198 Folders

(In case you're wondering, it's a game I was modding.)

I finally got an error message - something about "not enough quota for operation". And then it displayed garble and crashed by itself.

I didn't keep track of exact numbers after that, but I tried again with about half that number of files (approx 150,000) and it worked!!

So, if anyone has any weird problems creating DVDs with (way too) many files, try a multi-session with not so many files in each batch.

Note that each multi-session takes longer to "refresh" as it has to read all the filenames on the DVD.

Never had a problem with nero doing any of that. Might want to uninstall the program and then reinstall it. Sounds like a portion of the program got hosed. I copy full CD's all the time off my Pictures folder so I have back ups and never had that problem.