hey all, how y'all been lately.....??

it's been a very long time since i've been here to read anything let alone post anything. some of you "know of me" from the G4 boards which were of course the old TechTv boards.

i don't want to really build anymore pc's as my manual dexterity and eye focus are slowing me down a bit, plus i don't really want to get all involved with spec'ing out everything i'd need for a new build. there is this web auction site i go to frequently, and have had great luck with "Re-furbished" pc's i have purchased in the past. most of those however, i would immediately donate to my local church to be given to children/families that cannot afford any pc, let alone a lower cost re-furbished unit. i jsut want this unit for myself, as a "second or back-up" pc because the one i'm using right this very minute is one i rebuilt and is now past 7 years old, but, still going strong.....!!

anyhow, below are the spec's for the re-furbished pc i just bought, but won't arive for about a week (thanksgiving day and all). please give me your honest opinions, no matter what...........

by the way, this unit cost me around $330.00 which includes shipping, but of course, no monitor, but i'm covered there anyhow.........

thanks in advance, antonio.

=====================================================================

Compaq Presario SR1738NX

Athlon 64 3500+ 1GB 200GB 16X DVD±R/±RW DL LightScribe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications

PROCESSOR

Athlon 64 (V) 3500+ 2.2 GHz

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)

MEMORY

Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512)

Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less

Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec

Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM

DIMM slots Four

Open DIMM slots Two

HARD DRIVE

200 GB SATA

7200 rpm

MULTIMEDIA DRIVE

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive:

DVD-R DL Write Once 4X

DVD+R DL Write Once 2.4X

DVD+R Write Once 16X

DVD+RW Rewritable 4X

DVD-R Write Once 8X

DVD-RW Rewritable 4X

DVD ROM Read 16X

CD-R Write Once 40X

CD-RW Rewritable 24X

CD-ROM Read 40X

VIDEO GRAPHICS

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Integrated graphics

DIGITAL MEDIA

9-in-1 Memory card reader:

- USB interface

- Supports the following cards:

Compact Flash I

Compact Flash II

SmartMedia

Memory Stick

Memory Stick Pro

MultiMediaCard

Secure Digital (SD)

Micro Drive

XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)

COMMUNICATION

PCI K56flex data/fax modem

NETWORK CARD

Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

SOUND

Controller: AC97 audio

KEYBOARD

Compaq home professional keyboard

POINTING DEVICE

Compaq PS/2 scroller mouse

EXTERNAL PORTS

Front:

9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB One

1394 One

USB Two

Headphone One

Line-in One

Microphone One

Back:

PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two

VGA One

Parallel One

USB Four

1394 One

LAN One

Audio (line-in, line-out, microphone) One each

EXPANSION SLOTS

PCI Three (Two available)

PCI Express x16 One (One available)

DIMM Slots Four (Two available)

OPERATING SYSTEM

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio! I am so happy to hear from you and hope you're doing well!

I think you got a great deal, now I don't know what most of that stuff is but I recently bought a new Dell for $299 and $29 shipping:

80 gigawatt hard drive

256 gigawatt Ram

Celeron processor

Monitor--the big old fashioned clunky kind

CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive

As you can see, you have a LOT more power for the same price!

Pop back in more often, we miss you

Liz

Antonio! It's been a long time.....

Glad to see your doing good.

Looks like a good system to me. Should give you a few more years of staying on top of things.

Hope it works for you. sounds good to me.

Hello Sir,

Nice to have you back here!!!

Glad to see you took my post advice to come on over to the sane side of message board country!!!

You have many friends here as well as at the other place. Nice to see that there stiill is a 'got your back' support system over there though!!! :thumbsup: And you handled that guy very well, and in a calmer manner than mine I think, I tend to get hot-headed sometimes...ask anyone around here. :rolleyes:

My how things over there can just "come out of nowhere" when you least expect it. sigh!!! Makes me wonder why I go there at all at times. Though I do learn from the good tech helpers still there, but probably the place isn't good for my blood pressure!!! :rolleyes:

For those who didn't see what I am talking about over in the wild country, click here

Gee it looks like you got a good deal on that pc. Hope it works out well for you long term.

Pat

God bless everyone

Hello Sir,

Nice to have you back here!!!

Glad to see you took my post advice to come on over to the sane side of message board country!!!

You have many friends here as well as at the other place. Nice to see that there stiill is a 'got your back' support system over there though!!! :thumbsup: And you handled that guy very well, and in a calmer manner than mine I think, I tend to get hot-headed sometimes...ask anyone around here. :rolleyes:

My how things over there can just "come out of nowhere" when you least expect it. sigh!!! Makes me wonder why I go there at all at times. Though I do learn from the good tech helpers still there, but probably the place isn't good for my blood pressure!!! :rolleyes:

For those who didn't see what I am talking about over in the wild country, click here

Gee it looks like you got a good deal on that pc. Hope it works out well for you long term.

Pat

God bless everyone

I just remind myself that for every smartmouth on G4 there are people Like Jeff, Matt, and others that kindof cancels their negativity

Mark

Antonio..i think you got a great deal on that computer...i bought a similar(but with less ram) 1720nx refurbished for a little more money for my daughter about 9 month ago and no problems whatsoever...

you will have to clean up all the "junk" Compaq loads on it though...but it's a solid machine and a great price...!!

wayne :thumbsup::wacko:

Antonio! good to see you around brother even with that cream corn fetish you got going. Thanks for the link I may try it myself. as far as the junk on the compaq mine included a real copy of XP sp2 / a driver disk/ and an extras disk so you can do a clean install with proper drivers then leave of the crap. That is if it is like my laptop.

God Bless

Preston

good to see ya back man. That's a good little rig. I'd like to have it as a secondary gaming rig for holding LAN parties at my house. Just slap in a decent video card and it'd be a good gamer. It's kinda like when I paid $100 for an older used Compaq. I turned that thing into a little beast spending almost no money extra. Most of it's parts now are from my old main rig after it died.

I got for $100:

Compaq Presario 6433US

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 266MHz FSB

VIA KM266 Chipset

512MB PC2100 RAM

Integrated VIA Video and Realtek Audio

80GB Western Digital HDD

16X DVD-ROM

32x12x48x CD-RW

Standard HP/Compaq Keyboard and Mouse

JBL Platinum Speakers

Compaq 7550 17" Flat-Screen CRT Monitor

The upgrades to it have been:

removed 512MB of PC2100 and Added 2x512MB PC3200 PQI Power RAM (still operates at PC2100 though)

128MB GDDR3 EVGA e-GeForce 6600GT Video card

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Sound Card.

New Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM (original one broke)

Logitech Elite Keyboard and Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse (blue)

Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speakers

Dell M991 19" Standard CRT

The DVD-ROM drive is the only thing I actually spent money on specifically for this PC. I never use it now since I moved my gaming rig, modem, and router in my room. My parents however use it and we all know just how much better freecell and firefox work with that 6600GT video card and extra RAM.

Used and refurb PC's can be awesome. again good buy. They sell similar systems in Wally World for like $500.

hey thanks to all that responded and happy to hear form some old friends as well as new friends. the "cream corn fetish" is from my earkier days when i had to get some of my teeth replaced. i naturally couldn't eat anything solid for a while, so my (late) wife would serve up creamed corn instead of my favorite corn on the cob. i actually got to like creamed corn so much, i once made a joke of it by saying, "i want my creamed corn now, damnit".............

need i tell you my wife nearly "gave me" my creamed corn...............??????

i'll you what..................it would've hurt too..................!!!!!!!

i think i'll go through the usual "soup-up" of the pc once its out of warranty, you know, maybe a new cpu, maybe a different video card, maybe added ram, all the "usual" things we do, right.........???

all just for fun, though...............

80 gigawatt hard drive

256 gigawatt Ram

Liz

LOL

Liz purchased something from the BT basement garage sale.

I just had to.

Welcome back Antonio...

Driving directions to BT. Turn right at Google, pass the eBay outlet mall, Left at the light. Easy as pie.

M

one other question. would anyone know what this pc would have sold for when brand new...?? now, as a brand new pc, it would have come with a monitor as well. mine will not include a monitor, but that's ok, i have a great LCD.

thanks again.