is it possible to do a windows repair using a different windows disk. for example, there is a computer with windows XP MCE 2005 installed, but the only accessible disk is either Xp Home or XP Pro. Is it possible to repair windows using using either of these? Also, is it possible to use either of these to successfully run chkdsk?

to use check disk you dont need the cd

you can check your disk in the command prompt

or you can double click my compt

right click your drive and clean and check the disk in their

you can also defrag in there as well

im not usre what you mean using the cd to

check disk

do you mean

file checker yes you need the xpcd

unless you change the option

to check your files from the c:drive

you would need to change the option

your other Q about repairing maybe some one can guide you as i havent used

XP MCE 2005.

marty

to use check disk you dont need the cd

you can check your disk in the command prompt

or you can double click my compt

right click your drive and clean and check the disk in their

you can also defrag in there as well

im not usre what you mean using the cd to

check disk

do you mean

file checker yes you need the xpcd

unless you change the option

to check your files from the c:drive

you would need to change the option

your other Q about repairing maybe some one can guide you as i havent used

XP MCE 2005.

marty

marty, first of all thank you for your response. allow me to explain the situation:

i work at my university's tech support center (resnet) and a student brought in his computer after it randomly shut off on him which caused more problems to occur. to be specific, it is in an infinite loop of restarting. it shows the windows loading screen, but shortly thereafter there is a quick blue screen and then it reboots, only to repeat. safemode and last known good configuration are all disfunctional, so there's no way of running that from the command prompt.

this is a windows MCE laptop, and the student does not have the restore disks that came with his computer as they are at home, halfway across the country. generally what we would do in this situation is use on of our own copies of windows xp pro or home, with the CD key found on the bottom of the laptop to do a repair install, but since we do not have an MCE disk, this is not an option either.

that is why i was wondering if it's possible to use the repair console to access things such as chkdsk or something else to repair problem. during the blue screen the error is something BOOT_VOLUME (student videotaped the error and then paused it to show us) so im wondering if just repairing the MBR or running chkdsk could possibly fix the problem. I'm sort of looking for different solutions since my coworkers seem to have written it off as in need of the recovery disks, but i promised the student (my next door neighbor) i'd look into fixing it.

i hope that can help. thanks

im not familair with a lap top

but if it has winxp

i may be able to help

can you get to safe mode at boot up

tap f8 as it is booting

if you can get in there

go to safe mode in networking

then follow the screens until your desktop

once in desktop go to

start -control panel-sys-

advanced-start up and recovery

uncheck the box automatic restarts

then post back. this may give you a blue screen

if so the problem could be one of many

virus spyware

or i suspect hardware problems

maybe drivers

have a look at the hdd

and see what it is set at

and also check your ram

if there is more than one stick

try it one stick at atime

then post back

marty

Since chkdsk just checks and repairs your file system of errors, I see no reason why you could not use the recovery console from home or pro to run it on an mce install. I have never tried it, I am just guessing.

edit added later//

This sounds obvious, but I have made this mistake before(reinstalled the manual way). Make sure the computer does not have a built in recovery program. I would google the model, or during boot up it may say something like "press f5 to recover system".

Edited by shanenin

Shanenin, is what you're talking about a "Reinstall on a partition" (or something like that....)? Daughter reinstalled Windows on her Dell through that method with no disks and I was going to suggest that route but I don't know what I'm talking about :D and Tim probably thought of that method already. Daughter reinstalled Windows that way at College with a DellDude talking her through it, I didn't have to help (yippie!!).

Liz

Shanenin, is what you're talking about a "Reinstall on a partition" (or something like that....)? Daughter reinstalled Windows on her Dell through that method with no disks and I was going to suggest that route but I don't know what I'm talking about :D and Tim probably thought of that method already. Daughter reinstalled Windows that way at College with a DellDude talking her through it, I didn't have to help (yippie!!).

Liz

That is exactly what I was talking about. I have made the mistake of reinstalling windows from scratch on a machine that had the recovery partition, boy did I feel dumb. If you are not paying attention, it is an easy(not really) thing to miss.

Thanks, Shanenin! A couple hours ago my Hubby said, "you were right, Hon" (about something completely different) and now reading your post, oh boy, I feel smart! :D *grins, puffs my chest and sits up a little straighter in my chair* :D

Liz

yes dell have a hidden partition

were the recovery program resides

this saves dell hp and some others from supplying you with

an instalation disk

by law in my country a disk has to be supplied with the compt

there is a downside

if you have crash and your sys gets corrupted

when you try to boot

in the black screen it will say

you need a sys DISK TO BOOT

a boot floppy wont work either

then that partition needs to be

deleted

in europe they tried sue those companys

that used this practice

as they felt a cd needed to be supplied

i think the case is still being fought

there is a wipe disk that

can be used

ive forgotten the name

that is why i made my own compt

no hidden partitions

luckly there are boards like this to give out that info

other wise you would have had to take it to the repair shop

here it is $75 an hr

not sure where you live

marty

Edited by martymas

sorry it took so long to answer back.

the laptop is an HP laptop which i believe has a recovery partition, but i still think it takes a disk to access.

I've tried accessing safemode as suggested, but there is no way, basically i can't get into windows whatsoever.

but what do you guys think, do you think it would work to run chkdsk or am i SOL? any other suggestions on how to repair this.

most recovery programs are activated by tapping f(something) during bootup. If you watch closely at startup, it probably says what key you need to use. Some hps use F11. I would try tapping F11 during bootup. If that does not work try all of the f(keys), one at a time. If hp has a recovery partition, you do not need any disks.

I had this situation a few months ago on a friends' computer that he brought to me in a panic. The problem turned out to be a couple of sectors on the disk that had gone bad and not been automatically remapped by the drive controller. Endless loops of rebooting.

The solution was (as much as it pains me to say it, because I really really dislike the man!), was to buy a copy of SpinRite from Gibson Research Corporation. While the website sounds like snake oil, I'd previously used his much older versions of SpinRite to fix other issues on a Win98 box. Very worthwhile the $39 registration fee!

one of the reasons Timspo14 has posted here is to get help

if he was going to pay for those repairs

he wouldnt have posted here would he

that is what this board is for not to advertise

professional help

ok

Timspo14

if you go to pc support and look for th thread

commonally recomended tips and links

you will find help there and it is free

if you have a disk

it would help

some where in that thread is a solution

i havent had to use the repair console

so i do not know how to activate

it from the hidden partition

i know how to delete it but that would require you to have an install disk

marty

Well 'scuse me..

/me calms down slightly.

My suggestion was borne out of the fact that the original poster works in a professional setting, and as such the purchase would no doubt be of great use not only in this instance but in future occurances of drive problems. The cost is minimal considering the capability of the program (based on my own experiences and that of the many testimonials on the site), and would save considerable 'bodging' to fix the same issue. The advice is there, if he does not wish to spend the money (either personally or at a department level), then that is also his choice. I am offering an alternative to the method in which he was attempting to attack the problem.

Isn't that the point of this place?

Edited by AdamF

You could have had someone send his CDs by snail mail in the time this hasn't been adequately answered. Use a WinXP Pro CD to run chkdsk through the Recovery Console. It seems that using a XP Pro CD will allow the Recovery Console to be installed on MCE. I even imagine you could have used the WinXP Pro boot disks. Tell your friend when he goes home for the holidays to retrieve his CDs and keep them with him.

Entering Microsoft windows recovery console in XP media center

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

As for SpinRite I concur that it is a handy tool for someone to have even though it is from a snake oil salesman. It is not against the forum rules for pointing this out to other people. Other CDs worthwhile having are Knoppix, Madboot, BartPE and UBCD4Win. Of course the best CDs to have are your own containing the OS and drivers for your own personal PC. Never leave home without them.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75