Transmission Flush

I need to know what ya'll think. I need to flush my tranny fluid soon, but don't really want to pay $120 to have it done. I was thumbin thorugh my Craftsman catalog today and came across this little toy.

What do yall think of using this to remove all the old fluid? Would this do the job of sucking ALL the old fluid out?

Any comments appreciated.

EDIT:

Also, If this wouldn't work out Ill do it via the cooler line, but Im trying to keep this simple and clean.

Edited by Bubba Bob

EDIT:

Whoops, missread.

Anyway, getting the fluid out is all Im looking for. Simply draining it would only get around 1/3 the fluid out of course, so Im looking an an inexpensive way to get the rest out.

According to the link it comes with tools to remove the trans. fluid through the dipstick tube... I wonder how well that would work?

Edited by Bubba Bob

I've owned a Mityvac for a long time, not the one your looking at but a smaller one that I use to bleed brakes. They make good stuff.

My guess is it will do what you want but you really should take the pan off clean it up and replace the screen.

Edited by isteve

Your best bet is to find a Jiffy Lube or something similar. They charged me $75 to flush the trany.

Most places will not change the filter unless you request & it cost extra.

I usually do my own, you have to remove the 32 bolts that hold the pan on, remove carefully because the oil comes down all at once unless you take all the bolts out but 3 on one side then when you take them out let the pan tilt to oneside, it drains most of the oil out then.

The filter is seated with a O ring about 1 inch ID.(inside diameter) some you have to remove with a mechanic hook. O ring that is.

But its best to let a shop flush it because then they pressure the system so the oil in the torque converter and the small fileings come out also !!

any time I have done a change of trans fluid I have found a bunch of grey sludge on the magnet in the pan. Make sure that you clean all of this out, it is all the metal filings that have been worn off. Even if you use the pump to remove the fluids you should still drop the pan and clean or replace the filter.

Hmmm, $80 to save $120? My math says it's the "man thing" and you really need a new tool/toy. heh heh.......

Shhhh, not so loud. ;)

But its best to let a shop flush it because then they pressure the system so the oil in the torque converter and the small fileings come out also !!

Bingo! That's why I want this little machine. To get ALL the fluid out.

Your best bet is to find a Jiffy Lube or something similar. They charged me $75 to flush the trany.

Jiffy Lube... :blink:

If someone's going to F up my car Id rather is be me :thumbsup:

my only experience with transmissions is with the 350 chevy turbo.

the best way I know to really get all the junk out of the torque converter is to drill a hole in it and and tap it for a drain plug.

back in my younger days I would cut the converter apart, take out some of the fins, weld it back together and make a stall converter.

depending how how much of the fins you take out would make it to where the converter wouldn't kick in til you got the engine up to 3,000 rpm.

in my opinion you're just wasting your time if you don't drop the pan and clean the filter and screens.

I changed my mind. Im just going to get all the fluid out by disconnecting a hose from the trans cooler while running the car. I decided that's $80 I really didn't have to spend (even though I really wanted to), and that money could be used elsewhere. Like on some nice Royal Purple trans fluid or something....

ALright, I dropped the pan and changed the filter, added 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Then discconnected one of the trans. cooler lines and ran the car to pump out 3 more quarts.

Total cost: $60

6x Mobil One Ful Syn. $36

Trans. Filter $20

Gasket/Sealent $4

Thats half the price of the dealership and the filter got changed. (they wouldnt have)