Ok this has been bugging me for a while now. I have some blank DVD's that say they hold 120 minutes of video. I decided to burn 4 episodes of one anime (free fansub) I was watching so a friend of mine could watch it. Well, I was picking out the episodes in Nero and when I put the 4th episode on it said that there wasn't enough space and that it was going to have to reduce the quality. Now each episode was about 24 minutes at 175MB each and the files were all AVI's (I don't know if it makes a difference but I had to download DivX to play them originally. Winamp has played AVI's before but not these. Oddly enough when I installed DivX, Winamp was able to play them. I guess It had the codecs I needed.). These are 4.7 GB 120min blanks. What's the deal here?

Also another thing that bugs me. My dad's Adventures of Brisco County Jr. DVD set, each disc has 4 episodes on them. On TV with commercials, they were an hour long. I'm guessing there is at least 3 hours of video on each disc. What's up with that? They can't be dual layer cause I'm pretty dang sure our old DVD player ain't dual layer capable. I mean it's OLD. Maybe all DVD players are DL capable but only certain burners are capable of burning DL. Is that the case? DVD's just freakin' confuse me.

I just started doing DVD's. This is only the second Video DVD I've created. (I burned multiple copies of the picture slideshow of my grandfather that they played at his funeral). I'm still learning about them. All I've used my burner for before this was data. That 4.7 GB is handy.

Thanks for any insight. DVD's are kinda weird.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I skimmed your post...

but what I gathered was that you want to burn .avi 's to DVD...

You shouldnt have any problems you just drag and drop those bad boys in nero and burn...if you want to watch em on a PC..if you want to watch em on a DVD player you have to convert em...I suggest DVD Santa...If your just gonna watch em on PC or ur friend want to do that it should just burn with nero data.

If I'm sounding like an idiot plz...tell me so I can stop replying to ppls posts. :blush:

I have no problems burning I just wanna clear up some information about DVD's. I can burn DVD's like a champ. Skimming is very bad. You need to read the whole thing ;) I learned that the hard way with books I was supposed to read in high school.

Also I got that DVD burned fine I just wanna know why it had to reduce the quality of four 175MB 25 min videos on a 4.7GB 120 min discs.

Edited by Honda_Boy
I have no problems burning I just wanna clear up some information about DVD's. I can burn DVD's like a champ. Skimming is very bad. You need to read the whole thing ;) I learned that the hard way with books I was supposed to read in high school.

Also I got that DVD burned fine I just wanna know why it had to reduce the quality of four 175MB 25 min videos on a 4.7GB 120 min discs.

I think you'll find that 24 minutes of .avi(raw uncompressed) video is closer to 1.75gigabytes. Encode all 4 episodes to MPEG2 DVD and they should fit