Hey folks,

I wasn't sure where to post this but all the BSODs tell me it's hardware.

First, a little background on the machine.

AMD Duron 800MHz (matsonic MS8303E MOBO) / 384MB RAM / currently running windows ME (well, not really running).

There are far too many problems/symptoms to list with the ME currently installed...If I can even get it to show a taskbar and desktop, it usually ends with a hang and hard boot being the only option (sometimes might get an unstable but usable desktop around the 8th boot)...I originally thought this was a bad driver hanging but now it won't start in safe mode the majority of the time either....With that said, my friend purchased WinXPsp2 (full) to wipe the drive and start from scratch...and I'm the "lucky" one that gets to do that...lol

attempt 1:

STOP: 0x00000026 (0x000401F4, 0xF79620A8, 0xF7961DA4, 0xF763FF5C) CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM

Please don't tell me this is a bad WinXP disk....lol

to test DVD-ROM tried running knoppix, no joy....tried mandrake install disk 1, no joy

swapped out DVD-ROM for known good....removed NIC, Modem, and one stick of RAM

attempt 2:

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0xFC971739, 0x80888314)

Setup cannot copy the file atapi.sys.

this error and the one that follows show up on MSKB as a RAM problem.....So, I swap the sticks of RAM (what are the odds that both went bad, right?...lol)

attempt 3:

STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

So, thats where I stand...there have been ALOT more than 3 attempts all resulting the same....can someone with a little more knowledge and troubleshooting skills than myself, add anything to do that I might've missed?...I don't have any "known good" RAM of this type to test....I don't have a problem running out and getting it but would like someone to tell me that I'm looking in the right direction.....just wanna get this POS off my hands, I'm not getting paid for this and have no intention of pulling my hair out over it...lol

Thanks for any input,

T.

hey tic, is this an upgrade of xp on a ME system ??? just wondering cause i did that & have had a lot of problems with it. called microsoft they said some xp upgrade disk had some bad files when installing on ME system......STAY SAFE

I don't want to mess you up but if it was me. I'd take the HDD out of the"ME" machine and put it in another comp. and Reformat (NTFS) it. Put it back in the "ME" comp. and load the New OS. Have you tried that ??

I fought ( tooth & nail ) with win. "ME", for a year. the MFG. would to nothing so , inorder not to VOID my three warrantee , I added a second HDD, put XP PRO on it

it automatically set up a dual boot sys.

I'm using it yet today , it run's 24/7 and no prob. I just dont go to the ME drive. Hell of a way to have to do it, but at the time I didn't know what else to do.

jimmy

P.S One day I'll take the "ME" HDD out and throw it in my lake.

hey tic, is this an upgrade of xp on a ME system ??? just wondering cause i did that & have had a lot of problems with it. called microsoft they said some xp upgrade disk had some bad files when installing on ME system......STAY SAFE

hey guys,

No, this was meant to be a clean install from winxp home full.

I was thinking it's a Ram problem as I couldn't get anything to install or run right (winxp, knoppix, mandrake)...just for the hell of it I through SLAX live cd in and it worked fine...kinda indicates to me that the RAM is fine....I've also tried a few other options...BIOS updates, tried activesmart to see if the drive might be failing but the drive doesn't even show up in that program.

Not really sure where to go on this one...would hate to go through this thing replacing piece by piece...it's bad enough that my friend went out and bought WinXP full and can't seem to get it installed....I was trying to push linux on her as a joke and that won't even install so I'm at a loss.

I actually have it booted winME right now and seems stable and functional...trying to do some cleanup on it before I take it for a swim...lol