Halloween

So after a slow start we wound up with around thirty kids or so. I have WAY too much candy left. I mean, seriously folks.

------

I am officially the mean old man of the neighborhood: A couple of kids show up, the little boy says, "Trick or treat!" The little girl says, "Why do you steal our toys?"

Uh -- what?

"You're just mean!"

Whenever I mow or do yardwork I have to pick up after the neighbor's kids. I throw everything in the garage. Some kids ask if I have, say, a blue football, I go get it and give it to them.

Since I haven't exactly prepared a defense for this unexpected inquisition I stammered out the first thing that came to mind, "If you leave your crap in my yard I'm gonna take it."

Oops. Mommy and daddy are probably wishing the kids would slowly back away from the mean man's house. :lol:

------

A half-hour or so after the official trick-or-treat time is over the cars from outside the neighborhood begin showing up. Parents apparently are driving these kids everywhere, and their candy bags showed the results: They were filled to overflowing. Greed. I think.

------

What're some ideas for getting rid of the excess candy -- 'cause I WILL eat it if it stays here.

:D You mean old man, you! :D I loved your story!

This was an unusual year here, too....I always get parents trick or treating with babies but this year I had TWO moms who thrust out their OWN bag! I mean, honestly, is that baby going to eat all that candy?? (I DO give lollipops or smarties to the babies with an announcement to the baby, "This is special candy just for babies!" But these moms kinda floored me. I'm a mean mommy, my kids didn't go out till they were 2, and then only around the block!

We had about 400! I live across from the elementary school and in a farming community so country parents drop their kids in town.

One suggestion for leftover candy is to drop it off at the Senior Citizen center if your town has one or anywhere where Seniors congregate. Seniors LOVE sweets.

Liz

I gave up giving candy, and so did all my nieghboors. This street is dark and vacant. Last year the onyl people that came by were thugs and teenagers. I don't think so! Get your 85' Calilac out of my drive way and take er back to the hood, thank you.

I just hope my house doesnt get wrapped... again :(

Wow Liz, 400 :blink: I bet that was an investment in candy. I can't imagine so many kids.

Happy Halloween!!! :D:D

My wife and I got cleaned out of candy in 90 minutes. We spent way too much money on candy as per usual, lol. Our neighbourhood seems to draw a lot of kids, I regularly see kids from the other side of town, people I don't recognize. Right now as I'm typing this the door bell is ringing and I'm turning away kids. I love Halloween. In one hour I'm driving the kids to our local civic center where there will be a fireworks display.

I feel like a bloated pig right now........I've eaten way too much. :D

...One suggestion for leftover candy is to drop it off at the Senior Citizen center if your town has one or anywhere where Seniors congregate. Seniors LOVE sweets.

Liz

Thanks for the idea (though I worry about their health). Maybe I'll check the village's website and see if there're any suggestions.

And ... STAY OFF MY LAWN! :lol:

Which reminds me, I just saw the animated movie Monster House. Guess what it was about? A mean old man that chased kids off his lawn and stole any toys left behind. Umm ... Nawww. Not me!

Bubbabob, I lurk the ads and buy the cheapest candy I can find :thumbsup: This year it was tootsie rolls. And of course, dum-dum lollipops or smarties for the babies. No chocolate candy bars for the goblins, I have a $15 limit! This year I only spent $13 and have leftovers. No problem with leftovers like JDoors, I have kids, I'll just send the leftovers off to college with them (although I might keep the tootsie rolls for myself!)

Liz

I loved Halloween as a small kid and still do now that i'm 18 haha.

The only thing being I had a physics midterm until 8:00 tonight and when I got home I handed out candy. Not to say I didn't eat my fair share, but Halloween is deffinitely not the same when you have an exam that runs till 8 :(

No Halloween for the wife and I. Neighbors out here are sparse enough... other than family... our nearest neighbor is quarter mile a way... and we have no sidewalks nor street lights for foot traffic. The grandkids get ferried out to the big city (Georgetown [California] and/or Placerville) to do their trickortreating.

What we look forward to is the day after Halloween candy sales and stock up on or favorite source of vitamin C (chocolate) for a good long time :thumbsup:

Hi folks...and happy belated Halloween.

I slept through it also since I had to work 10pm-6am...I don't get trick-or-treaters here since it's a security building (yippeeee!!!!!) ...so no interuptions to my precious sleep. :)

I did feel kind of bad for not taking my son out for his first trick-or-treating but his mom took care of that and got him more candy in about 90 minutes than I think he should have till next Halloween. :angry:

Anyway, what kind of proud daddy would I be without showing a picture of my little dinosaur. ;)

Jacob__Dinosaur_1.jpg

I went to sleep at 7:30 last night =P Skipped the whole holiday, was great.
Hi folks...and happy belated Halloween.

I slept through it also since I had to work 10pm-6am...I don't get trick-or-treaters here since it's a security building (yippeeee!!!!!) ...so no interuptions to my precious sleep. :)

I did feel kind of bad for not taking my son out for his first trick-or-treating but his mom took care of that and got him more candy in about 90 minutes than I think he should have till next Halloween. :angry:

Anyway, what kind of proud daddy would I be without showing a picture of my little dinosaur. ;)

[pic]

I work nights so if the holiday falls on a workday I shut off all the lights, close the bedroom door and sleep like a baby. I didn't have to work last night though.

Cute costume! We didnt' get that many extraordinary costumes this year (but then, only ~30 kids showed up). Come to think of it, the only one that stuck in my mind was the hockey player with blood all over his face. :)

Halloween? Kids? They don't call me Terrorist for nothing. Parents stear their kids past my place on the opposite side of the road. Teenagers in this town know better than to disrupt me or mess with my place. If it isn't bad enough being afraid of me they sure as heck don't want to disrupt my dog. He doesn't answer the door politely. I have had to replace a few steel storm doors because he goes straight through them when upset. I was outside with him on his leash one afternoon when the UPS guy walked aroung the corner of the house with computer parts. The dog snarled and the UPS guy tossed the packages then ran. I thought the dog was going to pull my arm out of it's socket.

Unfourunatley me, and two of my neighboors didn't make it through the night safely. :(

So I noticed yours was the only house TP'ed ... What did you do? :D

... Parents stear their kids past my place on the opposite side of the road. ...

Consider yourself lucky I guess. At least you don't have five-year-olds accusing you of being mean right to your face. I have to work on my mean-old-man routine.

... all year long we tell kids not to take candy from strangers. Then one day we say go out and get candy from stangers.

They're not supposed to be strangers, they're supposed to be your neighbors. (I know, I know, nowadays your neighbors ARE strangers ... )

I have no worries, ann the kids in my area are all grown. Not a single person came by are area. Been like that for a couple of years now. But we still buy treats just in case. Mmmmm. it was good stuff to.

Sure seems like it's not the same tho was when we were all young.