Internet Explorer Trouble, Among Other Things...

^^ I was forwarded to this area of the forum after completing several steps in the malware removal forum.

the link to that topic is: http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php...=10196&st=0

after performing several steps to remove multiple viruses, and other malware, the original problem still exists with the computer.

Basically now, everything runs extremely slow, there is tremendous lag with the performing of simple tasks such as opening the start menu, or any other programs, and Internet Explorer just doesnt come up at all.

Originally, while browsing internet explorer, any SSL secured web pages or windows simply would not work. There would either be a "page could not be displayed" error, or i would be forwarded to an alternate AOL Search page. such websites that could not be accessed included the login areas of banking sites, webmail sites, etc.

I hope this is enough information to help. Thank you again.

I believe you need to contact Sony and get a recovery CD. The recovery CD should have been created when the laptop was first purchased. I don't know if you can access a recovery partition to restore the laptop back to factory specs.

Check here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-sy...&NAVDISP=pc

If you can restore it back to factory make sure you enable the firewall before connecting to the Internet and download all of the updates. Once the updates are completed install an updated anti-virus program and the other programs suggested at the end of your HJT post.

after uninstalling Norton, and mcafee, then reinstalling mcafee and rebooting, my problem seems to have been cured as far as the internet explorer inability to access secured sites.

everything seems to be working fine, except for a window that pops up at startup prompting me to "Insert Recovery Disc 1" from VAIO Application Recovery Wizard.

aside from that small nuisance, everything works fine, and much quicker now that all the malware and virii have been removed.

thank you again.

Having both Norton and McAfee can cause conflicts and allow viruses to attack the system. They tend to cancel each others protection. Norton if not configured correctly can cause the browser not to connect to certain sites. I'm happy to hear that the laptop is now running decent.