When I reboot, or if the pc has been off and I start it, there is nothing on the desktop. I do the "control-alt-delete", go into "user" and logoff that way. After 2 or 3 times, I get everything back. I always know when it's gonna happen, cause it takes 2-3 full minutes to go from the scrolling bar Win XP screen to the Welcome screen. It stays grey in between.

Ideas?

"No Icons or Start Bar" tells me Explorer.EXE either isn't loading at all, or hasn't finished loading.

Next time, when you CTRL-ALT-DEL (planning to log off then back on) take a look on the Processes tab and see if Explorer.EXE is running.

-------

Do you have a lot of icons on your Desktop?

I'm wondering if all that time is due to an icon cache rebuilding or loading up.

-------

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?

If so, does the Desktop still take "forever" to load?

-------

What happens if you boot normally, but let it take a long time (say 20 minutes).

Will the Desktop/Start Bar come up if you wait that (unreasonably) long?

I'm wondering if you let it fully reboot that way a couple of times that XP may work its way past the problem.

"No Icons or Start Bar" tells me Explorer.EXE either isn't loading at all, or hasn't finished loading.

Same here.

Sounds like it's hanging up and not initializing properly.

Doing a Repair Install may fix that up also.

Liz, doing a Repair install leaves all your personal data intact, all it does is rebuild the Windows Installation Files and the shell (Explorer.exe) is part of that. You will have to go to WinUpdate and reinstall any updates past what your install CD is up to. If it's SP1, then SP2 will need to be reinstalled, if it's SP2 then just the 68 or so new updates since then need to be installed....heh. (can't wait for SP3)