Gaming Without Windows

ok here's the deal straight up. i'm really hooked on playing World of Warcraft. in fact i just ordered parts to build a gaming machine. i've been using Linux on my PCs and Windows when i have too. what emulators do you guys use to run Windows programs especially games or is it too much of a drag on the system to run both for large programs like games? i've been looking at a program called CrossOver

for WoW Cedega is the best way I know (its based off an old version of WINE (Windows IS NOT Emulated))

and they added direct X to OpenGL conversion.

CrossOver is WINE (they head the project and Sales of CrossOver help pay the bills)

they just added better Dircet X support, but I don't think its as mature, unless Google added a lot more than I thought to get Google Earth to work with Linux..

Before reading this post, realize that I am a FOSS zealot.

I'd suggest straight up Wine. If you can get a recent enough version working properly, you'll easily be able to run WoW. I'm able to run Counter-Strike: Source with Wine 0.9.20 as well as a friend on Windows, so WoW shouldn't be too much different. In fact, I recall seeing some WoW screenshots. This'll save you the money on CrossOver or Cedega, and (I'm not sure how CrossOver is licensed) the proprietary-ness of Cedega. In case I'm not coming off strong enough on the FOSS thing, I recall hearing Cedega's been slipping as of late.

Before reading this post, realize that I am a FOSS zealot.

I'd suggest straight up Wine. If you can get a recent enough version working properly, you'll easily be able to run WoW. I'm able to run Counter-Strike: Source with Wine 0.9.20 as well as a friend on Windows, so WoW shouldn't be too much different. In fact, I recall seeing some WoW screenshots. This'll save you the money on CrossOver or Cedega, and (I'm not sure how CrossOver is licensed) the proprietary-ness of Cedega. In case I'm not coming off strong enough on the FOSS thing, I recall hearing Cedega's been slipping as of late.

Cross over is 100% FOSS, you are free to do what ever you want with the Wine part, they have an installer that come with support. as a matter of fact, Wine would get no development with out Cross Over Office. It that money that pays full time coders and support. Cross over roles everything back into the wine code tree

Codega uses Wine as a library sine it is LGPL software, with its own proprietary direct X libaries and installer launcher

just wanted to say thank you for the help.

i looked up what games and programs wine already supports. for the most part every thing that i can't find a linux eqivilent to has already been done on wine and since i was running alot of opensource programs on my mac anyways, there's no problem there cause i can just use the same ones. it's just a few games that made only for windows that i need, mostly older 1's so i'll try giving wine a shot first and then transgaming if i need to.

thanks for the help guys

(nods head in appreciation)

if they were dos games, try dosbox.. it runs DOS in its own environment..

nahhh there just 3 or 3 years old. WOW is my main game, which i have to have. and i've found a couple of sites where others have been just using wine for quite a while now. so far i've just been using the PC only for games and the Mac for everything else, i didn't mind since the PC was just pieced together for super cheap.