Talk About Bloat...

Hey Folks

I've never seen so much bloat for a simple run of an upgrade advisor in my LIFE!!

I finally broke down and d'loaded Vista RC1 to test and just get a feel for, so after the 2.35G Vista d'load (in only 42 minutes :thumbsup: ) I decided to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor just to make sure of what software I could run or any other little h'ware issues like scanner etc.

Well, to run the upgrade advisor it requires MS .Net Framework installed....sigh...ok. D'load dotnetfx.exe and as usual I start my InstallWatch Pro just to make sure I capture all system changes in case I want to delete it entirely.

So, start the .Net install.....wait.....wait....wait.....wiat......wtia....(drift off to sleepy-by-land)twia....wiat....wtai....wait....wait some more...33 MINUTES LATER...the install completes!!

K....WTHeck is up with that!!

Well...THIS is WTHeck is up with that....

The installation performed the following activity:

858 files added

1 file deleted

45 files updated

38857 registry entries added

664 registry entries deleted

45 registry entries updated

Can you believe that????

Just so I could run the Vista Upgrade Advisor????

Almost 39,000 Registry keys added????

Almost 860 new Files????

And what's up with DELETING 664 Registry entries???????

I've heard of some pretty nonsensical things in my day, but to have to go thru ALL THAT just to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor...which took a whole 25 seconds to run and do it's thing BTW...is almost Beyond Belief!!!

:wacko::wacko::blink::blink::wacko::wacko:

No WONDER MS takes flak for it's bloat....lord almighty!

So, start the .Net install.....wait.....wait....wait.....wiat......wtia....(drift off to sleepy-by-land)twia....wiat....wtai....wait....wait some more...33 MINUTES LATER...the install completes!!

The installer compiles some of the Framework assemblies to native code. That could easily take half an hour.

Almost 860 new Files????

Seems right. Mono is 517 files on my system and it's not a full implementation of .NET.

Temporary entries?

Edited by jcl

Pats the monitor on his head, says "good boy" and hopes I'll never have to jump to Vista! Sounds waaaay to complicated!

As far as I know, Macmarauder, Vista is still a Beta thing. I hope it stays that way for a long, long time!

Liz

Edited by blim

Mac - RC1 "Release Candidate 1" Build 5728, basically not Beta anymore but there will be numerous more "builds" before Vista Final Final commercial release to the General Public. All the additions-subtractions are done, now it's fine tuning, tweaking, and stabilizing....and ALLOT of that to do yet.

jcl - Yah, I started nodding off as it "Built" it's libraries and Framework assemblies.

664 "Temp" keys?? I can see no reason why it would need to build 664 temp registry keys...for ANY reason! Of course, it Added almost 39,000 new keys so those could be ones they misspelled or sumthin eh..;)

I know .Net Framework was big, but wow...all that just to run the Upgrade Advisor...that's Nuts!

Blimy - well, not really complicated, no more than installing anything these days, I just wanted to catalogue any changes to this old system if I plan on running Vista on it. I figured I'd just run the upgrade advisor and that would be that....but NOOOOoooooo...I needed El-Stupido .Net Framework to run the advisor, and THAT'S where all this crud started.

All for 25+ seconds of Upgrade Adv. run and a 1 page report on stuff I already knew needed upgrading...my Graphics card.

For that, I installed 858 new files, 38,857 new registry keys, updated 90 items and deleted 665 more.... :poster_oops:

What an absolute WASTE of my time...

jcl

I can see them possibly needing a certain part(s) of the .net setup to properly run the advisor, but you think they'd "compartmentalize" any needed section and offer that to folks who simply want to run the Upgrade Advisor.

Instead of making them go thru the entire, very long, utterly useless for most, complete .Net FrameWork install, offer a smaller self-extracting/installing package that's just enough to get what's needed. They should think of the 42 million or so of users that don't need the .Net setup...ya think eh.

Hey Folks

I've never seen so much bloat for a simple run of an upgrade advisor in my LIFE!!

I finally broke down and d'loaded Vista RC1 to test and just get a feel for, so after the 2.35G Vista d'load (in only 42 minutes :thumbsup: ) I decided to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor just to make sure of what software I could run or any other little h'ware issues like scanner etc.

Well, to run the upgrade advisor it requires MS .Net Framework installed....sigh...ok. D'load dotnetfx.exe and as usual I start my InstallWatch Pro just to make sure I capture all system changes in case I want to delete it entirely.

The installation performed the following activity:

858 files added

1 file deleted

45 files updated

38857 registry entries added

664 registry entries deleted

45 registry entries updated

Can you believe that????

Just so I could run the Vista Upgrade Advisor????

Almost 39,000 Registry keys added????

Almost 860 new Files????

I've heard of some pretty nonsensical things in my day, but to have to go thru ALL THAT just to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor...which took a whole 25 seconds to run and do it's thing BTW...is almost Beyond Belief!!!

:wacko::wacko::blink::blink::wacko::wacko:

No WONDER MS takes flak for it's bloat....lord almighty!

Why didn't you install RC2?

At some point in a little under a year I'm going to buy a new PC for my 12 year old daughter with Vista pre-loaded. I'm hoping by that time all of the bugs will be mostly ironed out.

Heh, then I'll inherit her computer and put some kinda Linux on it:-)

At some point in a little under a year I'm going to buy a new PC for my 12 year old daughter with Vista pre-loaded. I'm hoping by that time all of the bugs will be mostly ironed out.

ha ha ha hitest

you havent converted your daughter yet

young people are resilent

she will go there [much to your delight]

when she feels like it

young have more choices then i did

all my family are compt wizzes

im the only one who has trouble turning it on

marty

ha ha ha hitest

when she feels like it

marty

LOL, you're right, marty! :lol:

My kid is a windows girl all the way. Maybe one day she might want to try out Linux, but, not now. Heh, where did I go wrong? :D

"Scratches head", I usualy just read the system requirements, or go boldly and install. Lol must be just the maverick in me. B)

Heh-heh, that's my standard operating procedure in Linux:-) I don't know as much about windows.......viruses, trojans, malware, oh my. :D

ha ha ha hitest

when she feels like it

marty

My kid is a windows girl all the way. Maybe one day she might want to try out Linux, but, not now. Heh, where did I go wrong? :D

if it helps any, you did help to convert me, but i don't think i looks as cute in the Little Linux _Penguin Outfit.

ha ha ha hitest

when she feels like it

marty

if it helps any, you did help to convert me, but i don't think i looks as cute in the Little Linux _Penguin Outfit.

Egad......visions of you, a 6 foot plus man in a cute linux_penguin outfit........my eyes. :D

I'm happy you're giving the penguin a try, macmarauder, I've been a penguin user for over 4 years now. Yes, the penguin is addictive. :D