Not sure if this belongs in this forum section, but seemed like the most logical explanation to me...

I went to get on my girlfriend's laptop and noticed the zip drive sticking out of it was crooked, pulled the zip drive out and the black strip in the middle of the USB port came out with it. I'm just wondering if I can just slide the black strip back on to the golden metal prongs or if it has to be professionally fixed, or replaced.

Thanks for your time,

Aron

Hi Aron! Manda's idiotbox is still under warranty, right? You monkeying around trying to fix it might void the warranty, best bet might be to call wherever she bought it from and ask--NOW if the experts here think Aron's solution won't further break the machine voiding warranties, chime in!

Mom

Edited by blim

Most definately, anything you do to try to repair that port if the machine is still under warranty, will probably VOID the entire warranty so take the rest of this post with that firmly planted in your memory.

That connector cover is supposed to be attached solidly, so I would say that it will need to be Replaced rather than repaired.

Is it part of a USB hub? (more than 1 port side by side) If so you can easily change the entire hub for pretty cheap, you can buy interior USB port hubs at most electronic stores.

I do know of someone who fixed an exact problem like this, using an epoxy glue (sparingly at strategic points) and carefully placed bends in the contacts to provide some friction. Here, actually is the post with pictures on how he did it, but personally I would replace it myself, if you're at all slightly mechanically inclined.

Aron stopped home today (he had to reff some soccer games, the ridiculous pay and a home cooked meal was worth the trip for him :D ) and I relayed the answers, ordered him to check in here, and thank you both soooo much! He said the zip drive still works fine, it's just "wiggly", it doesn't seat securely in the slot it's supposed to fit into, and a wiggly connection isn't the best connection. I think that he'll convince Manda to use her warranty rights! At least I hope so, Manda's pretty stubborn ;) she's perfect for him :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim