Trying To Fix Someone's Pc But Hit A Snag

So I'm working on this Smell Dimented 4600. I need to reinstall windows but I noticed that the computer is not recognizing the CD-Drive. I pull it out and it's a samsung that looks similar to the Samsung DVD-ROM that crapped out on me in my compaq. Well I put in a working LG and it's not recognized either. Well I try 2 different IDE cables and nothing. What's going on with this thing? Shot IDE controller? Bad IDE port? Thanks for any help and a thanks from the "customer" (dad's friend that's actually paying me) too.

Edited by Honda_Boy

did you check in the bios to see if it something does not look right?

You could try and put the cddrive on the slave with the harddrive. I think it will slow down the throughput of the harddrive, but it may let you get it installed.

Edited by shanenin

oh yeah jumpers set right, the drives are not being recognized in the BIOS. I even tryed to slave the CD drive with the hard drive and still nothing.

*just frickin great. I got the stinkin drive working, a simple off to auto in the BIOS fixed it. Problem is I had my disc in the drive and it started noticing it and getting ready to install windows XP, I hear a very dis-concerting noise. My HP Windows XP Home SP2 disc had jumped out of the tray inside the drive. Scratched all to pieces. I'm not sure if it's useable but I'm going to walmart to buy a Disc Dr. to try and fix it. Good thing it wasn't my regualr OEM disc. Glad I scratched up the HP OEM disc. I can still use the regualr one to install on my Laptop. I was trying to see if I could use this HP one and it seemed to start working but the damn disc popped out of the tray.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I bought a Memorex OptiFix Pro and it got rid of some of the scratches..................after running the disc through about 6 times. Some of the heavier ones are still there but it works fine it seems. I'm using right now. I also got the guy to give me some money to buy a new drive. I asked for 30 and that's what I got. Wally world ain't got those $25 CD-ROMs anymore. The cheapest they ahd was a Lite-On burner for $30 before tax. I dsicovered that I had a $20 in my wallet so I ran over to the music section. Hot dang, they had Queensryche's Q2K. So it came out to $49 exactly. I have no probs paying out of my own pocket since he's paying me more when I get done. I wish I did this all the time. It's actually fun to fix computers for me. Until I have to call MS that is. Man I wish I could get a job at the local repair shop. That'd be frickin paradise.

Anyway it seems I fixed the problem and was able to get my HP XP disc half way fixed.

Yes, unrecognized ROM drives on power-on are always BIOS related, that's where they're controlled at that stage, generic Oak drivers in the BIOS hard code.

As long as the drive works at all that is.