Someone asked me how to use the command line and I told him to google "linux command line tutorials"....Me, being a noob also, did the same.

I think this site is about the most beginner-friendly that I found in my search.

In restrospect, I wish I'd taken learning CLI a little more seriously when I first started because the shortcuts and wildcards would've saved me alot of typing.....Not to mention, the first time I had to edit a simple text file with root priviledges and had no idea how to open a text editor as root.

any links to add or tips that the above link doesn't cover?

EDIT: sorry I didn't notice your original thread, hitest...I gotta be more observant :blink:

If I can ever get enough junk to put back into my old box and install Linux again, these sites will come in handy. Thanks.

You're very welcome. I'm thinking of buying a used unit to tinker with, install Linux on it. I might buy a Plll 733 for $100-200. Decisions, decisions:-)

who'd a thought I could make a little calender in konsole...lol...or who'd a thought I might want to?  :blink:

AT&T. It made sense in 1976.

:)

Edit: Actually, be glad that you have it; it may be the only accurate calendar on your machine. Check the conversion to the Gregorian calendar in Sept. 1752 (cal 9 1752). The GNOME calendar gets it wrong and the KDE calendar freaks out for any date before 1753.

Edited by jcl
  • 3 weeks later...

hi team.

im trying to configure my dial up modem.

is this the line i use through the tab key.

tar pvxzf /mnt/cdrom/driver/linux/intel.536ep-m.tgz.

havent done it in a while this is for mandrake 10

the line above is for mandrake 9.1

marty

hey Marty,

It's great to know the tar and untar commands but I'd just copy the file from the CD by going to /mnt/cdrom r-click intel-536ep-4.69-mdk10-up.tgz>copy and paste it to your /home/Marty (or whatever) directory, then>r-click intel-536ep-4.69-mdk10-up.tgz>actions>extract here...then open the "intel-536EP-2.56.76.0-mdk10-UP" folder that is created>r-click inside the folder>actions>"open terminal here"...then do as the readme.txt says.

good luck,

T.

• 3 months later...

hi tictoc just come from the chat rooms after reading your chat post .

and ive printed your info on the modem extraction .

but im going to need your help.

i had mandrake 10 on but couldnt get on line .

so i had to re install xp to go in and get the info.

so far your post is promising .

hitest and hand plane tried to help but i abandoned it .

i was getting frustrated .

i like mandrake.i had mandrake 9.1 on for over a year .

in a dual boot with xp but the drive was to small to sustain both

so bought a 20geghdd and mandrake 10 not knpwing the command line had changed from 9.1 to 10.

so i shopped around all over the net.

ive had the disk for several months.

as well as lycorus and ubuntu.

and dont know how to get modem drivers for any of them

so thanks

and ile keep in touch

marty