So.. I'm relatively new to macs (year+ experience). Today as I started my mac normally and began downloading my daily emails, it started to make some really odd noises from the back of it (I use iMac, the newest kind). Scratchy noises kind of, I had to even go listen to it on the backside because it almost sounded as if someone/thing else was making that noise. And the windows began to freeze + I couldn't get the cmd+option+esc thing to work either. It took me about fifteen minutes to get the computer to work somehow so I could restart the whole thing, only to get the white screen with apple & neverending search for harddisc... Did apple hardware test via install disc - it said everything was fine. Then I tried to reinstall MacOSX on it but there was no harddisc icon to place it to!

I also read somewhere from the guides that I could press option key when restarting to choose from which harddisc do I want to start the OSX from, and there I could see the name+icon of my HD so that's a little weird. That's why I thought I could reinstall the whole damn thing to get past this problem.

Is there any gimmicks or tricks etc. I could do to get to the bottom of this or have I reached the very bottom and lost my harddisc forever? :( It's not but a few month's old machine! And if so, what can I demand from apple in return (I have the protection plan thingy). Any knowledge & guidance would be appreciated! I use MSN too so if you're preferring to use that, we can do it via that too on this old win98 machine. ;)

Kindly,

Sari

Being that it’s just a few months old call applecare and they will tell you where to bring it. If it is a hard drive they will do what they can to save your data and restore it on the replacement drive. The hard drives on the new imac's are pretty easy to change but have apple do it anyway. It won’t cost anything and that’s what applecare is for.

And it's best not to try and boot from it, if the drive is toast the less you use it the more chance of them recovering your data.

Edited by isteve