Is Dsl Possible With No Phone Service?

Hey Guys,

I currently have cable broadband with Vonage. I do NOT have a landline phone service. Recently, Valor Telecom was taken over by Windstream Communications. Windstream is now offering 3mbps/384kbps DSL for the same price my cable compnay is charging me for 1mbps/184kbps. I have been waiting for this to happen for a while, but now that is has Im not sure I can even get it.

So, my question, can I get DSL through my phone line If I DON'T have phone service with that line?

Thanks,

Bubba

Technologically, yes. As long as other conditions (like you having phone line laid to your house already) are met.

However, a lot of telecoms are not willing to sell such "naked" DSL packages. You need to check with the company.

However, a lot of telecoms are not willing to sell such "naked" DSL packages. You need to check with the company.

Thanks Aluvus. I looked up Windstream's FAQs after reading your post and found this:

Windstream must be your local telephone service provider in order to subscribe to our broadband service

:(

Thanks for the replys yall.

Edited by Bubba Bob

They'll charge you a monthly fee for the line to make up for not having the phone service. I have Windstream, formerly Alltel here. I am paying about $56 a month for the 3mbps/384kbps DSL package and phone service. I get an $8 discount on the phone service because I am still considered disabled and I keep renewing my 1 year DSL contract to stay locked in at $25 a month. If they maintain the same service Alltel gave me I will be quite happy.

I see you found their FAQ. Will the price with phone service still be cheaper than your cable?

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
They'll charge you a monthly fee for the line to make up for not having the phone service. I have Windstream, formerly Alltel here. I am paying about $56 a month for the 3mbps/384kbps DSL package and phone service. I get an $8 discount on the phone service because I am still considered disabled and I keep renewing my 1 year DSL contract to stay locked in at $25 a month. If they maintain the same service Alltel gave me I will be quite happy.

Wow, excellent deal TT. Ill have to look into their phone plans then.

EDIT:

I see you found their FAQ. Will the price with phone service still be cheaper than your cable?

Their phone service prices aren't listed on the website. I'll give them a call in the morning. I'm definitely interested.

Edited by Bubba Bob
You will have to pay a phone service connection fee that will be included on your first bill.

That's alright. My current ISP, Cebridge, is really dissapointing. SOme days I can hardly use the phone at all, due to the crappy internet quality.

Thanks for the info :)

Edited by Bubba Bob

well talk about coincidence. I just got my reminder that my contract was up for renewal. I just locked in for another year at $24.95. I got talking to the girl on the phone about other services and she said they are planning on adding a 6mbps package for my area. I also asked her about adding Dish TV to my phone/broadband package so I could get rid of TW Cable TV. For every channel plus phone (unlimited local & long distance) and broadband (3mbps) the cost would only be $163 a month. Hell I'm paying over $110 a month for TW with a planned increase coming up again. My TW has been terrible for the 6 years I have had it. They are sending a tech out again tomorrow to try and fix the same problem I have complained about for 6 years.

In SW Louisiana Bellsouth is the major player. Last I checked they have no naked packages. You need $80 of crap features to get DSL. Many people pay their phone bill of $100+ just to have DSL, while making most all their calls with cell phones.