The last several times I have tried to perform a system restore in Win XP on an HP desktop, I have not been able to go back to a restore point. Any ideas on where to to start looking for the problem?

Could you explain in more detail what you mean? Is it giving you an error? Do you mean the restore point is not there?

Well, that's what I've been told for years. I've used System Restore once, and it seriously jacked up my system (I was 12 though). Some viruses embed themselves within System Restore points and even come back after being deleted by a virus scanner because the os denies access to those files.

you are correct, virues can be saved in restore points. With that said, it seemed crazy to just say "don't use it". It can be a great tool.

The last several times I have tried to perform a system restore in Win XP on an HP desktop, I have not been able to go back to a restore point. Any ideas on where to to start looking for the problem?

I'm not a huge fan of system restore. I personally don't feel it should be used unless absolutely necessary. However to answer your question, make sure you have system restore enabled first of all.

Right click My Computer => Properties => System Restore tab => make sure it's not set to disable and that it's monitoring your hard drive

If it is enabled, we're going to need some more details as shane pointed out.

B

While I'm also not a big fan of using Sys Restore very much, if you do try to do a restore and the utility scans the restore point you chose and finds it's corrupted somehow, it will NOT allow you to restore to that point.

I never say to go past 1 week with Sys Restore if you do try it, so if all your restore points within 1 week are not able to be restored, then something has corrupted them and they'll be useless.

As our other members correctly state, Sys Restore itself is not harboring any nasties, only if you have already had an infection that uses sys restore to reinstall itself will you ever get infected from using it.

Now, if you're having to use Sys Restore as many times as it sounds like you have (in the past) you're obviously doing something inherently unsafe or you're not using proper security tools.

Please explain in detail what is causing you trouble this time, what security s'ware you use, and any changes recently made and we'll see if we can't fix this.

Aren't there some viruses that can "break" system restore? And Heydc, yes, do what the experts tell you to do and report exactly what's happening when you try to restore! They'll fix you right up once they know how it's misbehaving! ;)

Liz

Aren't there some viruses that can "break" system restore? And Heydc, yes, do what the experts tell you to do and report exactly what's happening when you try to restore! They'll fix you right up once they know how it's misbehaving! ;)

Liz

I smelled freah baked cookies with that post. LOL

i smell some thing wrong with this post

if youve had a virus in normal mode the first thing you do is turn off

sys restore

so the virus dosen infect the sys restore

and most of us use this method

get rid of the virus in normal mode then turn on sys restore

if i have to do this i go in and set a restore point

restore is a handy tool for the not so with it compt user

most of the experienced users probably never use it at all

i have mine enabled but havent used it for yonks

ide prefer to reinstall xp

marty

I agree, it just seems better to reinstall. Until recently I never useed system restore, but for some things it is great. If I install something that borks up my system, sometimes system restore is a good easy way to goback a few minutes(assumbing I remembered to set a point). When I do sevice calls, it is a good way to diagnose/fix simple problems that my customers caused.

• 2 weeks later...

There ARE restore points. I've had this system several years and have used a prior restore point many times as I have on several other computers with extremely good results. It is just that the last several times (over several months) I have tried to go back a back to an established restore point, I receive the message that the system has NOT been restored. I always pick a point earlier the time I started having problems.

Thanks

It was unecessary for this topic to get sidetracked about viruses seeing as the OP did not state he had a problem with any.

Heydc,

Ignoring the virus discussion your problem may be caused by a corrupted restore point. Read the information in the following link to troubleshoot System Restore failures.

Troubleshoot System Restore “Restore Point Failures” in Windows XP

I know my XP setup and have no qualms using System Restore when a glitch occurs.