• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About tjet

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 10/29/2003

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Previous Fields

  • Operating System
  1. Try running live updates. I just did a reload and it is on the optional menu not the express. It offers the base 1.1 plus the full 3.5 overlay for .net. use IE, it seems to work better.
  2. hmm, sounds just like the same things poor white southerners eat.
  3. A command-line interface (CLI) is a mechanism for interacting with a computer operating system or software by typing commands to perform specific tasks. This text-only interface contrasts with the use of a mouse pointer with a graphical user interface (GUI) to click on options, or menus on a text user interface (TUI) to select options.
  4. Just teasing about the color. Thet will see you coming hopefully.
  5. I use a Celeron D 2.4 everyday. Good chip so far.
  6. Glad it is working out for you Brian, but I dunno about that color. Puke green?
  7. Now that it made the critical list I'm gonna upgrade.
  8. Minor children, like other taxpayers, have a choice between claiming itemized deductions or the standard deduction. Children usually have a small amount of itemized deductions or none at all, so in most cases they claim the standard deduction. A taxpayer that isn't a dependent of any other taxpayer gets a standard deduction in a fixed amount, depending on filing status. (It's adjusted each year for inflation.) For a dependent child, the size of the standard deduction depends on how much earned income the child has (as opposed to investment income, which is considered unearned income for this purpose). This complicated rule says your child's standard deduction is the greater of the following two amounts: the minimum standard deduction ($950 for 2009), or The child's earned income plus a base amount ($300 for 2009), but not more than the regular standard deduction for a single person ($5,700 for 2009). Here's a way to make sense of this rule. Your dependent child's standard deduction starts at $950 and stays there if all the child's income is unearned income. When your child begins to have earned income, the first $650 will not cause any increase in the standard deduction — but after that, each additional dollar earned will increase the standard deduction by a dollar (effectively making the earnings tax-free) until the standard deduction reaches the amount that would be allowed if your child were not a dependent. Personal exemption The personal exemption is another fairly hefty deduction: $3,650 for 2009. Unfortunately, a child can't claim a personal exemption if someone else is entitled to claim the exemption. That's true even if the other person doesn't actually claim the exemption. The mere fact that someone else qualifies for the exemption is enough to disqualify the child from claiming it. You can't give a personal exemption to your dependent child by not claiming it, but you may be able to help your child claim an education credit (Hope scholarship credit or lifetime learning credit) by not claiming the exemption. This can be a good idea if the child gets more benefit from the education credit than you can get from the exemption. Minors can file their own tax returns, or parents can file for them. You may be surprised to learn that your child is a separate taxpayer, even as a minor. If your child has enough income, he or she has an obligation to file a return and pay the tax. Here's a quote from a recent edition of IRS Publication 929: Generally, the child is responsible for filing his or her own tax return and for paying any tax, penalties, or interest on that return. When the IRS says "generally," it often means there are exceptions, and that is the case here. We'll look at three issues: who prepares the return, who signs the return, and who pays the tax if any is owed. Who prepares the return If the return isn't complicated, and your child is old enough to read and follow instructions, filling out a tax return could be a good learning experience. Naturally, you can help your child prepare the return, or you can handle the task entirely yourself. In fact, the IRS expects you to do so if your child isn't up to the task: If a child cannot file his or her own return for any reason, such as age, the child’s parent or guardian is responsible for filing a return on his or her behalf. If your child's income consists entirely of dividends and interest, you may be able to eliminate the need for the child to file by reporting this income on your own return, using Form 8814. We explain these rules here. Who signs the child's return Your child doesn't have to be of legal age to sign an income tax return. Any child old enough to sign his or her name can do this. There's a catch, though. If you sign the return and the IRS ends up having questions, they can deal directly with you. If your child signs the return, there will be limits on what they can discuss with you and what actions you can take to resolve any issues, at least until you have a valid power of attorney to act on your child's behalf. There's a middle ground. Your child can sign the return but show you as the "third party designee" using a space provided for this purpose near the signature line of the return. That gives you limited authority to deal with the IRS on the tax return without a power of attorney. For greatest convenience in dealing with any issues that may arise on a minor child's tax return, the easiest solution is for the parent to sign the tax return. Who pays the tax As indicated in the quote at the top of this page, paying the tax (and interest and penalties, if applicable) is the child's obligation. For example, if your child owes tax because of income generated by a custodial account (UTMA or UGMA account), it would be appropriate to take money from that account to pay the tax, because the child (the owner of the account) owes the tax. You can pay income tax for your child from your own money, of course, but generally when you do that you're making a gift to your child. There is an exception to this general rule. If the law of your state gives you the right to receive income from work performed by your child, and you actually do receive the income, the IRS says you may be liable for the tax. The income is still reported on a tax return for the child (not on your own income tax return), but you'll have to pay if tax is owed for income earned by the child but received by you.
  9. I joined in 1978 I think every good liberal should own a shotgun and an assault rifle.
  10. You just jogged my memory. The same independent contractor that used to manage the Texas system took over up here.
  11. More than 200,000 Hoosiers draw benefits through a debit card. Those whose weekly deposits were supposed to be made Monday ran into a problem. "We're usually pretty prompt in our payment schedules, usually by ten or eleven o'clock in the morning, folks can go to their debit cards and receive their money," said Marc Lotter, Indiana Department of Workforce Development. It was around that time the Indiana Department of Workforce Development started getting calls from other people experiencing the same problem. An investigation found problems with communication between the state's computer network and the card vendor's network. "We have a number of upgrades that are going on with the computer system right now, we also have an unusually large number of claimants that are going through that, so when you add all that together, we have a little bit of a delay," said Lotter. link Conficker? Some counties are running 18% unemployment because of the automotive RV collapse.
  12. On the bright side I saw a 1GB stick for $9 at the walgreens yesterday. Last ditch on yours would be to try a format but the data's gone.
  13. Ok, It seems like someone in Milton, Queensland thinks it is important for me to have one of those this morning. Last night an Amsterdam mirror also seemed to think I needed it.
  14. I keep getting possible SQL Slammer attempts on my ZA firewall log. Would it do any good to report the origin IPs to someone?
  15. tjet

    Earth Hour

    I suggested on another forum that instead of sitting around in the dark for the hour they might head down to the store (which I am sure will not be observing it) and buy the new fluorescent bulbs to replace the incandescent ones and reduce lighting costs by 90%.