Start8 is an app that offers something that most Windows users wish they could have back when they upgrade to Windows 8: the Start menu. It may seem like not much, but once you start using Windows 8, you’ll see how much you actually miss that little button in the bottom left corner of your screen. Fear not though because Start8 by Stardock will add the Start button back and offers a bunch of great functionality.
Start8 will add a little Windows Start menu icon to your taskbar and away you go. You can configure the app to look like a newer version of the traditional Start menu found on Windows 7 or you can have the app make it look like the Metro UI. I prefer the older more traditional look and feel, but whatever floats your boat. Overall, Start8 behaves just like the old Start menu, you can pin things to it, it lists recently used and new apps, and it provides quick access to system folders.
Start8 has a free trial for 30 days, after that it will cost you $4.99 — a very reasonable price.
- Search for Windows 8-style (Metro UI) apps
- Pin desktop and Metro apps to the start menu
- Jump List support
- Offers unified search for apps, settings and files
- Allows you to boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop
- One click access to shut down, devices, music, documents, and videos